Car campin tents which one?

Reflex

I gotta stop jumping on your threads, but I can't help myself. I'd get an 8'x8' Coleman dome tent as cheap as I could find it and save the extra $400 to splurge on a really nice down sleeping bag.

I can't believe people buy BA tents…..

Edited by toejam

I have a Kingdom 6 from a couple years back, no idea if it has changed. I am not sure I would have bought it for full price, but REI was running a pretty good sale. I have used it about 15 nights total in NC and KY. It has been rained on a lot and there has been some wind, it has held up fine. The 6 is big, I need a little bit of help to get it set up, my 6 year old helps by holding down the poles as I get them anchored. The 4 might be do-able alone, but even a small child would be enough.

Kelty and Eureka both make "Bread and butter" tents that aren't expensive, are good for the price and are durable. 

Maybe alternatives to look into?

Great idea, hadnt considered. Ill have a look! Thank you Paul

do you all recommend I go with one that has an outside section roof/porch?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I went for an Eureka Copper Canyon 4. I haven't seen it at all, ordered online, hope I like it and its easy to set up! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I've got an old three person Coleman Sportsman double wall tent that I gave 25 bucks for on clearance and have used it for car camping for years. It's heavy, but it has worked well. I spent a night in a downpour on Mt Mitchell at the campground near the summit and was dry until I broke camp. Some cheap junk is junk, some isn't. The biggest problem is trying to get it back in the tent bag.

I do like Eureka tents and have a Timberline 4 that I want to try out soon.

• 1 year later...
goggination

I own a Eureka Mountain Pass 3XTE that I use for car camping.  I love it.  Definitely not light, but it's held up in wind, downpours, and through a lot of abuse.  I believe that model is still on the market.  Fits two adults comfortably if you want some room and would hold three if you don't mind being real close.  Two doors and vestibule space over each.  I generally tie it down really well and it doesn't budge.

Not sure that it comes up for resale ever, but the Eureka Grand Manan series are incredibly durable.  Heavy sons-of-guns but they take a beating.  A friend and I regularly camp in her Grand Manan 7 (3-person) and it hasn't let us down in wind-driven rain or when our campsite pretty much flooded.  It has a ton of guy-out points that keeps it glued to the ground if it gets windy, too.  Haven't taken it to the southwest to see how it holds up to a dust storm but I'd imagine it'd do alright.  I'm unfamiliar with the Tour (6-person) model but if made as sturdily as the 7 (3-person) and 9 (5-person) models it should be good.

FYI I do generally do a full seam seal and floor seal on my new tents and 'flys, so perhaps that's been part of the durability, but the rest of it is Eureka making durable products.

• 1 year later...

For quick overnights, a backpacking tent like a Sierra Designs. 

For several days in one place a 4 man nylon tent large enought to stand up in like Cabelas. 

For longer trips and colder weather a canvas wall tent with a wood stove.