Best Chair for Backpacking

branchville

branchville

Whats a good chair for hiking that will fit into your backpack and doesn't need to be assembled? 

The holy grail of backpacking gear has yet to be found. Years ago there was the Sling-Light chair, which showed promise but is no longer made. I've seen several chairs similar to this in the backcountry - https://www.rei.com/product/877258/rei-flex-lite-chair?cm_mmc=cse_PLA_GOOG-_-8772580001&CAWELAID=120217890000768290&lsft=

A few weeks ago I found a chair similar to the Flex Lite but half the price at Big 5. I bought it for my 11-day trail project. It was pretty comfortable, but the stitching at the shoulders started coming out. Someone else's REI Flex Lite appeared to be built a little better and had no ripped stitches.

These chairs are still too heavy & bulky for me to carry on a serious backpacking trip where I'm covering miles. Not bad for a short trip if you don't mind the price.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Helinox is pretty good. I just went on a tough trip at 10,500 feet. I am bringing a chair next time out now that I have got my base weight down around 15 pounds.

• 3 weeks later...

I just picked up a Helinox Ground Chair as my luxury item on an overnight trip to Thousand Island Lakes out of Agnew Meadows/Mammoth Lakes.

• 2 weeks later...

Like Scott above, I got the Alite Monarch. At 20.6 oz, not exactly light. But it is very comfortable. I find it better than some of the chairs that have short legs because with the Monarch, you can just rock back further and stretch out your legs. It is also lighter than chairs with legs as well. My buddy has the older version of this chair, the and it is 18.4 oz. Looks like the rubber protective ground rest pads are what is larger and now more heavy. It would be great if they would choose a lighter material and poles and bring that option to the market. I'd buy one.

• 1 month later...
27 minutes ago, dipink said:

Has anyone tried the QwikBack chair from LiteSmith?  It's not raised off the ground, but it does provide support for your back, and is only 2.65 ounces.

Qwikback UL chair

That looks interesting, but it also looks like it would press in between the shoulder blades. I'd love to see a real world review.