Best Chair for Backpacking

branchville

Game Warden

Also, note to TrailGroove management: this is second item I bought this year after reading about it here. Let your sponsors know.

• Like 1

Game Warden

Old-timers like me might remember Colin Fletcher's book, The Complete Walker, dated nowadays but a Bible in its time. Fletcher's backpacking chair was his single pole propped up against his pack to create a backrest, a technique I have used often. It's a good practice, but F. was usually in the SW USA, cowboy camping in the flatlands. Often the terrain won't accommodate that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick
On 7/31/2017 at 7:47 PM, Game Warden said:

Also, note to TrailGroove management: this is second item I bought this year after reading about it here. Let your sponsors know.

Ha, sometimes you do have to read the forums with a bit of caution! :D Same here and can't complain about finding something that makes my pack a little lighter or a trip a bit more comfortable / efficient though. 

I prefer light backpackking and chairs (like Alite MayFly). It's only 1.2 lbs and very portable. It sits really low to the ground but is really perfect for lounging back and enjoying a great view. But, you should weigh under 250 pounds. 

• 5 months later...

The few times out I have brought the Helinox chair and it is the first thing I do after selecting a campsite is to take off the pack, sit in the chair and change from the hiking boots to a pair of Crocs.  As I approach 70, furniture is more important. 

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...