What are Your 2017 Hiking Plans?

Aaron Zagrodnick

Hiker 10-42

I typically would go around July 4 weekend, and never had much of a problem.  I would suggest you do the loop clockwise (i.e. going over west maroon pass first.  Good luck you will love it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hoping to get out to the Black Hills and do some backpacking in Wind Cave NP, and maybe Badlands NP, and Teddy Roosevelt NP as well. Also want to explore the home state a bit more and get up to Voyageurs NP. (Obviously I have an affinity for the National Parks, if you can't tell) Was also hoping for some adventures to Colorado and Washington to see some old friends from high school and college and get outside with them.

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/03/2017 at 8:04 AM, HikerJ said:

I just finished 5 days in the Superstitions. I'll probably only do about 2 or 3 long weekend trips this summer. But late summer early fall might be 7 to 10 days on Isle Royale or another large section of the NCT in the UP.

I backpacked in Isle Royale several years ago.  It was a great trip - hope you make it there and have an awesome time.

We shall see. I was there once in 2014. I honestly don't care so long as I get to spend several days in the UP.

I saved up enough vacation this year to go on a three week road trip. The plan is to do two-night, three-day trips. I'm still working out all of the specifics because I'm trying to meet up with friends in a few places, but right now this is the plan: 

Start in the Needle Mountains in Southern Colorado, then head to the Flagstaff or Sedona area. Afterwards I will meet up with some friends south of Salt Lake City and find something cool to check out. Next I head to the Jarbridge Wilderness in Nevada, then North to the Sawtooth Wilderness followed by some time in the Wind River Range (Aaron, route suggestions?). Then to wrap it all up, I'm meeting my Aunt in RMNP with plans to bag Long's Peak, we already have our site reserved at the boulderfield. 

August can't come soon enough!

• Like 3

Between family things and trail maintenance projects in the Los Padres NF, my calendar is pretty full. I get another week of paid vacation this year so I should be able to carve out some time in the Sierra Nevada late summer.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick
On 4/17/2017 at 1:35 PM, kwhowell said:

Next I head to the Jarbridge Wilderness in Nevada, then North to the Sawtooth Wilderness followed by some time in the Wind River Range (Aaron, route suggestions?).

Sounds like a trip to remember all around!

Hard to go wrong in the Winds...is that a 2 night trip as well? That would make for a pretty quick sample but many of the more popular areas are doable in that timeframe...just depends on what you have in mind and what type of trip you're looking for!

• 4 months later...

Planning on a few AT day hikes as well as BMT day hikes. Hopefully the end of next month im going to tackle Mount. LeConte in the Great Smokey Mountain National Park.  Pretty pumped about that.