chafing issue

yonaguni

I hike up 5 hrs a day in years past my big issue is my clothes getting wet from sweating and rubbing against my leg causing chafing and rashes..ive used ivyrest an posion ivy cream which helps alot...but is it my clothes or something else that keeps causing this issue..how does everyone deal with this?

red_fairview

I usually wear long compression shorts or synthetic underwear to protect the sensitive spots where my thighs tend to rub together.  They dry quickly and do a pretty good job of moving the moisture away from my body.  Several brands make them including Under Armour.  They can be pricey but well worth the money if it makes your hike more comfortable. 

Also a quality pair of pants would be a great addition.  Something made out of Nylon or Nylon mix will help keep the moisture away and prevent chafing.  I have a pair of 5.11 Taclite Pros that I originally bought for work but have ended up using them for backpacking.  My son and I did 20 miles last weekend and I didn't have any problems with chafing.  They are lightweight , dry quick and are durable.  You should be able to get them for less than $50

A light dusting of gold bond powder can help as well.

• Like 1

Wishful_Hiker

Along with the clothing recommendation, I would suggest what Marathon runners use: Body Glide Anti-Chafe Balm, which they sell in small 1oz sticks.  Formula for men, women and feet.  No body glide?  In a pinch use chap stick or tape the area.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

you might also try Sportslick (similar to body glide).  A friend of mine swears by it.  I have some but have not had the need to use it, so cannot say from personal experience.  Here is their website: http://www.sportslick.com/

red_fairview

Gold bond has an anti-chafe "stick" that I used during my Marathon days which works well.  It's light weight coming in at less then 2oz, and about the size of a pack of cards.  Haven't had to use it on the trail yet though.