Experience with mid shelters?

aguerra.1993

aguerra.1993

Hello everyone! Once again I am on the hunt for a new shelter that may suit my needs better. So I started with an REÍ half dome. Great space but super heavy so I got rid of it and got a tarptent protrail. It was way lighter but I hated getting into my shelter through the front and I want something that provides more space. After that I got an 8x10 flat tarp but I don't have too much experience with it. I've never slept in rain with it so my confidence isn't very high but i have used it quite a few times in some wind (nothing crazy or above 20 mph). The tarp is also horribly built, and I will never purchase from Etowah Outfitters again but that's another story. Now I am looking for something that offered a good amount of space but is more sheltered and I have been looking at the Six Moon Designs Deschutes and the Mountain Laurel Designs Duomid. I originally wanted the Deschutes in Cuben but it's not even on the SMD site anymore and there's no way I can afford a Cuben Duomid. Another tarp I've been looking at is the MLD Cricket, it's kind of a mix between a Duomid and a Trailstar. I will be living in this shelter from the end of May until November in Colorado where I'll be working another season in a conservation corps. Also I'm 5'10" and fairly slim to give you an idea of my size. Thanks for any help and sorry for such a long post! 

I can't recommend anything because I've more or less decided to abandon single wall tents as a whole. I have a tarptent contrail that I purchased years ago. I've used it off on over the years each time swearing I'll never use it again but then I forget about all the problems with it and the weight savings draws me back in. I just used it again for 5 days in the supersitions.  Between condensation issues and space issues, and entering from the front I won't use it again. Also I could barely roll over without touching the tent walls which was a bad thing with all the condensation. I could never get it pitched right no matter how much I practiced, much less try to trust it in a heavy storm.

I'll be going back to my rei quarterdome. The 30 extra ounces is worth it in terms of space inside, two side doors, I can sit up without touching my head..etc..etc..

I'm aware that there are newer tarptents with more space and side entry but I just can't imagine they've gotten past the condensation issues. Having to pack my tent up wet all the time is kinda frustrating.

More power to you people who've been able to make them work for you. I wish I could.

aguerra.1993

I forgot to mention that besides using it to pretty much live out of I will be using it to backpack on my off days. The way it works is we work in the field for 9 days and then we have 5 days off, which I'll use to go backpacking pretty much every time. This is why I was looking for something lightweight yet fairly spacious for when I am set up at work I can have room to change and do other things. The rainbow looks like a really good option.

All tents get condensation. The issue is when you have to touch the wet walls or if they drip on you, which has been a problem with my Six Moon Designs tents. The single pole in the Rainbow keeps the wet tent material off your face and feet.

1 hour ago, toejam said:

All tents get condensation. The issue is when you have to touch the wet walls or if they drip on you, which has been a problem with my Six Moon Designs tents. The single pole in the Rainbow keeps the wet tent material off your face and feet.

Lots of ventilation and airflow will help reduce or eliminate this problem. Of course the possibility always exists depending on the weather conditions.

Edited by Outlier
  • Like 1

For living in staying in one place for a bit working with the  CCC than moving on I'd want a UL/light wt 1.5 - 2 p tent(for the extra room and integrated floor and mesh at a sub $300 tag), like a SMD Deschutes Haven 2 p at 18 oz for $200 in silny(no mesh or floor!)  or a mid like a Duomid XL in silny with a $335 tag(16 ozs, can be fully enclosed and modulized, again no floor or mesh in that wt!_  Your Cricket is going to be another shaped open tarp experience unless you add components. 

How long a stretch at a time you going out for?  

aguerra.1993

I'll be going 9 days on and 5 days off. On those 5 I plan to backpack the surrounding areas and road trip. Yeah I think the cricket isn't the way to go for me, I have an 8x10 tarp so I think I'd prefer a closed shelter for those times I want a more substantial shelter and I can use my current tarp for when I know I'll be in sheltered areas or the weather won't be too challenging on my ability. 

On 4/27/2017 at 9:51 AM, Outlier said:

Lots of ventilation and airflow will help reduce or eliminate this problem.

This is true but that rarely happens in my experience. The only time I didn't have condensation is when I faced the tent into a stiff breeze that blew all night and this is ok so long as the temps don't drop too far. Who wants a stiff breeze at 25 degrees even if you have the appropriate cold weather gear?