Experience with mid shelters?

aguerra.1993

1 hour ago, HikerJ said:

This is true but that rarely happens in my experience. The only time I didn't have condensation is when I faced the tent into a stiff breeze that blew all night and this is ok so long as the temps don't drop too far. Who wants a stiff breeze at 25 degrees even if you have the appropriate cold weather gear?

I think it's just a matter of playing with, and refining, your setup. I'm not saying you'll never get condensation, but you should be able to greatly reduce it with proper ventilation and airflow. I'm not sure what setup you've used, but the tarp itself can play a large factor into how much ventilation it allows for. The amount of ventilation ports it has, how you pitch it and if you keep the door open all have a role in determining how much condensation you'll have.

Like I said, I'm not sure what setup you've used so you may very well have tried all of these already. It's all about whatever works best for you. I agree that having a breeze when it's already below freezing isn't much fun.

Edited by Outlier

49 minutes ago, Outlier said:

Like I said, I'm not sure what setup you've used so you may very well have tried all of these already. It's all about whatever works best for you. I agree that having a breeze when it's already below freezing isn't much fun.

If you've had good luck with yours, all I can say is more power to you. I really wish I could make mine work as it would save me 1.75lbs.

Part of my problem is that I'm using a Contrail. I should have never purchased it. Nothing wrong with it per say but it's wrong for me. I can only sit up in it at the peak and even then I can't do that without brushing the sides of the tent and so much for changing clothes in the tent. Also the front entry makes it almost impossible or me to get out, put shoes on and standup without falling on my face.

If I were to look past all of this and start over again I'd probably purchase a StratoSpire2 but the fear of condensation holds me back at at 2.8lbs it's only about 20oz lighter than my current double wall tent which is free standing.

I know that there are lots people who swear by their tarptent or other single walled tent and I'm happy that it works for them and I still wish I were one of them.  I guess I'm just the oddball. Because of this I would never steer anyone away from one who was contemplating buying one.

It's hard to see how it's pitched in this photo but here is one night on my 5 day trip in February that I didn't have condensation.

tent.jpg

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, HikerJ said:

If you've had good luck with yours, all I can say is more power to you. I really wish I could make mine work as it would save me 1.75lbs.

Part of my problem is that I'm using a Contrail. I should have never purchased it. Nothing wrong with it per say but it's wrong for me. I can only sit up in it at the peak and even then I can't do that without brushing the sides of the tent and so much for changing clothes in the tent. Also the front entry makes it almost impossible or me to get out, put shoes on and standup without falling on my face.

If I were to look past all of this and start over again I'd probably purchase a StratoSpire2 but the fear of condensation holds me back at at 2.8lbs it's only about 20oz lighter than my current double wall tent which is free standing.

I know that there are lots people who swear by their tarptent or other single walled tent and I'm happy that it works for them and I still wish I were one of them.  I guess I'm just the oddball. Because of this I would never steer anyone away from one who was contemplating buying one.

It's hard to see how it's pitched in this photo but here is one night on my 5 day trip in February that I didn't have condensation.

tent.jpg

I'm not familiar with that particular tarp but it may have been an issue with that tarp's design. With smaller tarps like that you'll always have the issues with being able to change clothes and sit up in them.

While I'm not familiar with your budget, based on weight and ease of setup and interior space, have you seen the ZPacks Duplex? Over half the weight of the StratoSpire 2 (21oz vs. 46oz) and uses trekking poles. They also have the ability to add in a second layer which essentially makes it a double wall but is removable. If you're going on long hikes where weight makes a difference this may be worth checking out. There are others as well. The StratoSpire 2 doesn't look bad, it's just heavy at almost 3lbs. The Duplex is expensive, though.

http://zpacks.com/shelter/duplex.shtml

I like the picture, looks like a nice area!

What do you use now? I'm not trying to convert you to a tarp, just providing other options and opinions. 

18 minutes ago, Outlier said:

I like the picture, looks like a nice area!

What do you use now? I'm not trying to convert you to a tarp, just providing other options and opinions. 

The area was Reavis Ranch in the Superstitions.

Hey try to convert me I don't care. Intelligent conversation about the pros and cons, ins and outs of alternative options is a good thing. What I don't like is the my-way is the only way attitude. Whether that is tarps vs tents vs hammocks.

I would try the Zpacks in a heart beat but I'd have to win the lottery before my wife let me spend that kind of money on "just a tent" :)  LOL

Currently I'm using REI Quarterdome T2 it's just an ounce shy of 4lbs. Yes.. I know it's on the heavier side but I get all kinds of room. 2 doors and 2 vestibules and I knows it rock solid in a heavy thunderstorm.

Whether or not I stay with a traditional tent or try a tarp again it will be a 2 person. I got stuck in a very heavy all day thunderstorm once in 1p tent. When I got home I went out and purchased my 2p tent.

P.S. it's also good for when your hiking partner forgets his tent completely. Sigh.. but that  is another story.

19 minutes ago, HikerJ said:

The area was Reavis Ranch in the Superstitions.

Hey try to convert me I don't care. Intelligent conversation about the pros and cons, ins and outs of alternative options is a good thing. What I don't like is the my-way is the only way attitude. Whether that is tarps vs tents vs hammocks.

I would try the Zpacks in a heart beat but I'd have to win the lottery before my wife let me spend that kind of money on "just a tent" :)  LOL

Currently I'm using REI Quarterdome T2 it's just an ounce shy of 4lbs. Yes.. I know it's on the heavier side but I get all kinds of room. 2 doors and 2 vestibules and I knows it rock solid in a heavy thunderstorm.

Whether or not I stay with a traditional tent or try a tarp again it will be a 2 person. I got stuck in a very heavy all day thunderstorm once in 1p tent. When I got home I went out and purchased my 2p tent.

P.S. it's also good for when your hiking partner forgets his tent completely. Sigh.. but that  is another story.

The price is hard to get around with ZPacks, but likely worth it. That being said, there are others out there as well that will accomplish the same thing. You just have to trade other features, such as weight. If you don't mind floorless, options like Jimmy Tarps or Seek Outside are good options. Those will even allow you to have a stove jack put in so if you're winter camping you can add in a stove and stay warm throughout the night (which should also nearly eliminate any condensation issues).

I've used REI tents in the past and had great experience with them. They're easy to setup, handle the elements well (as you mentioned) and are easy to maintain. I chose to move on from that because of the weight, but I have nothing negative to say about them.

Whenever I'm looking at tents or tarps, I usually go one up. If it's just me, I generally look for a two person (or "one plus") to allow myself the extra room so I can move around a little more freely. Depending on the brand, it doesn't always add a lot of extra weight. If there's someone else in the tent with you, it's nice to have that little bit of extra room.

1 hour ago, Outlier said:

They're easy to setup, handle the elements well (as you mentioned) and are easy to maintain. I chose to move on from that because of the weight, but I have nothing negative to say about them.

Whenever I'm looking at tents or tarps, I usually go one up. If it's just me, I generally look for a two person (or "one plus") to allow myself the extra room so I can move around a little more freely. Depending on the brand, it doesn't always add a lot of extra weight. If there's someone else in the tent with you, it's nice to have that little bit of extra room.

Sounds like we are of similar mind sets. Only you've either found a way to greatly reduce the condensation issue or it doesn't bother you. One day I might return to using a tarp. That will be  after some time has lapsed and again I've forgotten why I dislike mine and the weight allures me back in.

On 4/26/2017 at 1:28 AM, aguerra.1993 said:

I forgot to mention that besides using it to pretty much live out of I will be using it to backpack on my off days. The way it works is we work in the field for 9 days and then we have 5 days off, which I'll use to go backpacking pretty much every time. This is why I was looking for something lightweight yet fairly spacious for when I am set up at work I can have room to change and do other things. The rainbow looks like a really good option.

I engage  similarly   7-10 days on trail maintenance crews while taking 3-7 days off in between the next 7-10 day session backpacking doing multiple sessions in succession. :D In this arrangement were not moving base camp for the trail crew work  very far or at all  during the entirety of those  7-10 days. We're staying put.  Sometimes I can arrange to leave a base camp erected with a larger 1.5-2 p tent to house my greater desires/needs when working 10 hr days. From this base camp I'll pretty much use my typical sub 10 lb UL kit but change out to a more UL shelter thereby having two shelters with both not exceedingly heavy  or bulky. Other times we totally break camp heading back to some headquarters, a van, etc  every 7-10 days. In this situation I almost always have to help haul gear back to HDQT. It makes no sense to have with me some kit piece alternates. It's my guess this is what your CCC experiences will be like but I don't know.  In this situation I will have left much of a  UL solo backpacking kit at HDQT for my off times to use backpacking. Other times depending on the conditions I can live in a carried shelter while on trail crews and use that same shelter for backpacking between trail crew sessions.        

• Like 1

Think about the conditions of your CCC work between May and Nov in CO. Could it involve camping at elevation, on snow in May and June and possibly need to handle lightish snow fall in Nov, be able to handle those fast moving fronts that can drop substantial rains maybe even sleet in a short amount of time, lightning, shed wind, bug protection, etc. I know the last thing I want after having witnessed it first hand is coming back to camp after a long day of  trail work to a flooded  tent, tent blown over or away, shredded shelter, gear wet, especially considering I may try to get away with only two sets of apparel, a caved in tent from snow,  etc Have you already worked for the CCC in CO? Have you reached out to them to know how your anticipated  experiences and conditions?      

aguerra.1993

Some of it will be at elevation but my crew will be sent all through out Colorado. I know some work will be done on a 14er, and I'd guess we will be camped at high elevation at times. I did a season in Arizona about a year and a half ago but the conditions were completely different there and I was on a chainsaw crew so we were not deep in the backcountry and we even drove to our worksites. This will be a completely different experience. I think I'll just be using my Copper Spur ul3 for now until I decide what tent to use. I am really leaning toward a pyramid though but maybe since picking the camping area isn't up to me it may be wiser to have a bathtub floor. The Copper Spur is cool but I only use it when I go backpacking with my girlfriend. It seems kind of flimsy to hold up to a whole season of use. Something like a Half Dome from REI would work but I wouldnt take it backpacking since it's so heavy. I want a shelter that is somewhat roomy but light enough to be pretty UL. The Tarptent Rainbow looks pretty nice.

Edited by aguerra.1993

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

A little late but I would also opt for something in the large 1 person or small 2 person range for so much staying in one place. To get it light enough to be comfortably backpackable on those off days if it were me (and considering all categories of shelters) I'd look at something like the ZPacks Duplex for a light and roomy but pricey option. The Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo is a lot of space, but I might even take that especially since I already have it! Snow would be something to consider, but especially if the elevations will be less to start and end the season with and the higher elevation camps are more in the middle (assuming that might be the case at least to start just to avoid snowpack), these could work. Tarptent would also have several options worth a look, just depends on what price to weight to feature set you're most comfortable with!

• Like 1