Summitting or Not?

Hiker77

The dictionary definition of a summit is naturally the very top. But, the definition for hiker may be different? In the NP Big Bend, TX  there is a peak called Emory, about a 5 mile hike classified as strenuous.  The trail ends and there is a 25' hand over hand scramble up, a slip and there is a fall with almost shear cliffs to serious  injury or worse.  It is recommended those with vertigo, bad knees...not attempt it. The  prize at the top is a very small area  you share with radio transmitters. The view is equally beautiful from the top or just below.   I have had a two opinions on summiiting Emory, one is you have to hand over hand to the top. Other is that the trail ends 25' from the top and that is the summiiting, scrambling or wall climbing to the top is not hiking. 

I know there must be other mountains that hikers work to go 5, 10, 15 miles to find that the trail doesn't actually reach the very top.  How do other mountain hikers view "summiiting" with this scenario?  Thanks from this first time poster.

Edited by Hiker77

Hike your own hike. Go as far as you want and can be happy with. People should be concerned about their own needs and abilities and those of their hiking partners. Anybody dissing you is only doing so to brag about their own accomplishments.

I've not made it to the top of some mountains and had them haunt me for years. One particular mountain I had many weird dreams about before I got a chance to climb it later. I've learned to better enjoy the journey despite the outcome over the years, but sometimes a reached goal is really special. The first time I summited Mt. Rainier I had a feeling of elation only rivaled by my wedding and the births of my children. It was something I wanted for 36 years.

That knob on top of Emory Peak was climbed by my kids when they were 9 & 7, so I don't think it's that big of a deal. After hiking up there they would have been very upset if I didn't let them climb it. This is me bragging. ;-)

On 9/12/2017 at 1:56 AM, toejam said:

Hike your own hike. Go as far as you want and can be happy with. People should be concerned about their own needs and abilities and those of their hiking partners. Anybody dissing you is only doing so to brag about their own accomplishments.

Agreed. It doesn't matter what others do as long as you're satisfied. Everyone has different goals and approaches hikes differently and it's all about what your preferences are.

I enjoy taking on challenges, but that's me and it may not work for you. Enjoy being out there!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I think hike up as far as you want/satisfied.  I do agree, rock climbing to the peak isn't the summit for a normal hike.   I recently told my GF the same thing.  She was too afraid to get to the top and I told her that and recommended she stay at the rest point before the last major climb.  I went ahead and now in hind sight, I wish I pushed her more and motivated her more than I did. 

Edited by Soar