DWR Waterproofing--Anyone Use Granger's?

SPAC3MAN

Looking to try a new DWR waterproofing product, but Granger's isn't locally available to me. Does anyone have any experience with their products? Thank you in advance for your information!

Are you trying to re-do a DWR jacket or pants? The first thing to know is that DWR fabrics need to be kept clean for optimum performance. Before reapplying a DWR coating, wash the clothing thoroughly with tech wash and rinse completely.

If that doesn't do it, then think about buying Grangers or Nikwax DWR restorer. Be careful to follow the directions CAREFULLY. Personally, I've used both products, in wash-in and spray-on, and I don't see much difference n performance.

I thin Rick has a good video somewhere on annual treatments for DWR fabrics.

Yeah, I have have a new jacket that's in great shape, looking to keep it that way. I've found Nikwax to be so-so, with proper care & product use. I remember seeing Rick's video, that's what got me thinking about Granger's...

Rick-Pittsburgh

First and foremost I would contact the manufacturer and see what they recommend. That might be a good starting point. With my Westcomb Specter(eVent) and Arc'Teryx Alpha SV(G-Tex Pro) I typically use Nikwax Tech Wash and if I want to really retreat the DWR coating I use TX Direct(wash in.)

Make sure to follow the instructions to the "T" for optimal results. There are many products out there(NikWax, Grangers, McNett ReviveX, etc.)

May I ask what the jacket is that you are referencing? There are different products out there for different applications and I would be more than happy to help ya out anyway I can in regards to what would work best for your garment.

Here is that video you 2 were talking about.

Edited by Rick-Pittsburgh

Yeah, I have have a new jacket that's in great shape, looking to keep it that way.

You shouldn't have to re-do the DWR yet! I've found the treatments already applied to a new jacket last for quite a while. You should only have to refinish it after a few years when it starts to fail.

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

I've been using the TX.Direct spray from Nikwax which seems to do a fairly good job at restoring repellency to a worn item, and in my case, I've found that abrasion, (Especially against something like packed snow) seems to be the thing that causes the most degradation. However, I would agree that if the item is new you shouldn't have to worry much about using a DWR restorer, keeping it clean and occasionally applying some heat as needed should hopefully keep things in good shape until an actual reapplication is needed. We also had a quick write-up on DWR Here back in Issue 5 for a little more info. :D

I'm looking waaaay far ahead, thats all. I have been pretty satisfied using Nikwax TX, which is what's recommended for my Rab Latok jacket. They also recommend putting it in the dryer, which is most definitely a no-no with it/at least my dryer at home.

• 2 weeks later...

From the Outdoor Research website:

To make sure the performance of your waterproof GORE-TEX® jackets and pants is ready for the upcoming season, ensure you wash and properly care for your prized threads. But don’t just toss your GORE-TEX® jacket into the wash with your pile of dirty undies: Take a minute to review how to clean and care for it so you don’t find yourself reinvesting in jackets season after season.

Washing GORE-TEX Jackets and Pants – Why Bother?

GORE-TEX® fabrics are highly specialized. In addition to a unique construction, they are made with a DWR (durable water repellant) treatment on their face. This treatment penetrates the fibers of the fabric, which allows water to bead up and roll off the fabric’s surface rather than being absorbed. This ensures a high level of water resistance – an extra layer of protection in addition to the waterproof GORE-TEX® membrane below the surface fabric.

However, with heavy use and time this treatment will wash or wear out. Dirt, sweat and sunscreen are just a few of the things that can also decrease the effectiveness of the DWR treatment and cause your garment to “wet out.” “Wetting out” is when the DWR treatment on the surface of your waterproof apparel has worn off, allowing the liquid to saturate the garment above the GORE-TEX® membrane and making you feel clammy, damp or wet. Fortunately, proper care and washing can help restore both the DWR treatment and its capabilities.

Dirt and oils from sweat – often found stained around the collar – can greatly affect the performance of your GORE-TEX® jacket; how often you use it and abuse it really dictates the frequency of cleaning. Keep in mind, proper washing can increase the garment’s performance and longevity. If you’re using waterproof jackets for hiking or high output activities like ski touring, we recommend you wash your jacket more frequently.

Time to Wash

When it’s time to wash, first close all the zippers – pockets, pit zips, main center zipper – and release any tension on the draw cords.

Pick a liquid, free-rinsing soap to use on your garment. (We recommend Nikwax Tech Wash®, a product specifically designed to clean waterproof fabrics and restore their technical properties.) Do not use powder detergents, and steer clear of products with surfactants, detergents, bleaches, softeners, conditions, perfumes – these can contain waxes or oils or can be hydrophilic, or water-absorbing. These ingredients have the opposite effect of the DWR treatment and will affect the performance of the garment by adhering to the fabric and reducing the ability to breathe and repel moisture. This even includes dryer sheets. If you only have normal laundry soaps to use, make sure you rinse the garment a second time to get rid of any residue from the cleaners.

Next, machine wash your GORE-TEX® garments – in a front loader, if possible – on a warm cycle with temps around 105 degrees; permanent press is an ideal setting. Choose a cycle that rinses the garment twice to ensure any oils or chemicals are cleared out of the garment and then line dry or tumble dry on a warm, gentle cycle for roughly 40 minutes. The heat from the dryer will reactivate the DWR treatment.

Dry Cleaning

We recommend cleaning your GORE-TEX® at home, but if dry cleaning is necessary make sure to request a clear, distilled solvent rinse and a stray-repellant. Some GORE-TEX® garments, like those made with silk or wool, require dry cleaning only. On the other hand, do not dry clean GORE-TEX® garments that include down insulation. It will strip the oils from the down, causing it to lose its precious loft and warmth. For these products, machine wash in cold water and tumble dry on low heat.

Reactivating the DWR treatment on your GORE-TEX® Jackets

If you find your jacket wetting out, the original DWR treatment might need to be reactivated. First, tumble dry the garment for 20 minutes on a warm cycle or iron the garment on a warm setting placing a towel between the garment and the iron. This can reactivate the treatment – the heat encourages the activation of the water repellant properties.

If that doesn’t work, it might be time to replace the original treatment. Before you ditch your threads for brand new ones, try to restore your garment’s functionality by applying a new water-repellant treatment – either a surface spray-on product or wash-in product. Again, we recommend a Nikwax product: Nikwax TX.Direct® Spray-On can easily restore the DWR performance of your waterproof apparel.

For more information on caring for GORE® products, visit the GORE® website.

And sorry, Paul, I know that doesn't answer your original question. This, from Wikipedia, suggests it might work:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durable_water_repellent

And this product from Gear Aid ReviveX says it creates and restores water repellency even on cotton duck and fleece! I'd say to give it a try and see what happens. It's worth a shot.

Edited by Peter