New from Mississippi

jhelms

Hi. I am 59 years old and have been hiking since I was in my teens. I have hiked all over the US and about 15 years ago slowed down a lot. As the marketing director for a company I used to work for I would arrange my travel around hiking. Last year I got back on the trail. Hiking in Mississippi is sometimes not as challenging but it keeps me in shape for my mountain hikes. The smokies are 9 hours from home and the ozarks are about 5. I am in the woods at every opportunity and as I move closer to retirement I am getting back in shape for more extended hikes and more travel.

jhelms;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Sounds wonderful!! I've hiked some in the Ozarks also. It's a great area,often overlooked and under-appreciated for it's natural beauty. I love the Irish Wilderness in South Central Missouri. Where do you go?

Gary M

Olathe,Kansas

By the way for anyone interested,

the Irish Wilderness is part of the Mark Twain National Forest, and protected under the National Wilderness Act. It's a two day hike along Whites Creek, and well worth the trip. Be careful of flash flooding, as the small and lazy waterways in South Central Missouri can turn quickly into raging rivers. The soil is very thin and can not handle much in the way of rain. The result can be rather spectacular, but dangerous to those not prepared.

The Irish Wilderness is named after Father John Hogan who founded the area in the 1850's as a place to get away from the hectic big city of St. Louis. Unfortunately, somehow this remote area became involved in the Civil War and the Irish settlers mysteriously disappeared. I've heard a number of theories on what happened, but no one really knows for sure.

Gary M

Olathe,Kansas