NEMO Veda 1p

Lemonjello

Anyone see or use? Comments or impressions?

This tent interests me and as I have a Meta 2p.

I am familiar with the materials used and the trekking pole design, but for the life of me, I cannot find any reviews or much else other than the company's pictures and video. (video only shows the 2p version.)

Please for the love the trail gods, do not refer me to check out tarptent or Cuban fibroid tents.

Nothing against cottage guys, but for some reason, someone always feels the need to point out that I can save 36grams or something like that....

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

No personal experience here but would be interested to hear your thoughts if you do pick one up, looks like an interesting tent. (Small door perhaps just judging from the photos: http://www.rei.com/product/865570/nemo-veda-1p-tent ? )

NEMO has some interesting products. Since you called out to the trail gods I'll refrain from further comment. :P

Thanks Aaron,

I guess it comes off a bit snarky as I read it... Sorry! (It seemed like a mild chuckle in my head...). I have nothing against cuben fiber!!!! I have a Hammock gear cuben tarp and various other cottage manufactured gear and love it!

I am a hammock guy normally and will be doing PCT 2015. Still going back and forth on gear, I am doing the great

gear shuffle and endlessly going over all the random details and having a difficult time since I live in Hawaii and seeing, testing or even trying out gear is a pain since no outdoor retailers are in this state, sadly. I think i will pick up this tent just to test it out. Like I posted earlier, I have a Meta 2p and I have thought of using it but i think its too much/too big and heavy for solo long thru hike.

I admit that I have not seen or used any tarptent tents here in Hawaii. I still think Hammock is my first choice though.

Ironically I just got an email this morning for NEMO 10 year anniversary 25% off. I ordered it!

Something may be happening over a Nemo. Either new product line coming or changing or getting out of tent business. Just a hunch as it seems a couple of their tent are "out of stock" and some deep discounts on others.

• 3 weeks later...

Got it and had a chance to overnight in it! Initial thoughts:

+Sewing is excellent, fabric and mesh seem quite durable

+Works best with extendable poles

+Roomy for a 1P(I'm 6'1")

+Vents well

+Dry in downpour

+Stable when pitched taught

+Like the multiple additional guy out tabs

+Not sure why this tent hasn't got more attention or reviews

+2lbs 4oz. on my scale in included cinch sack

+packs small(8"dia. ball in cinch sack)

+Water beads off nicely and shakes dry fairly well, dries quick

-Setup can be finicky (needs to set square)

-Need to adjust guy lines for good pitch

-Works best with extendable poles

-Stakes are a bit flimsy compared to MSR or DAC stakes

Overall impressions: Nice tent, Material is a fine ripstop nylon with panels of a more breathable nylon at head and foot of tent. Condensation was not an issue. Ambient humidity during test was 79-99%, Condensation may be an issue in drier climate. I have a NEMO Meta 2P and material is similar if not the same in both tents. As a hammock guy, this is a great ground alternative. Pricey, but if you shop around or subscribe to Nemo website a deal can be had on occasion. Plenty roomy for me (6'1") and pack inside. I will be using this tent!

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Glad to hear you like it and nice report! How's the entry / exit? Was the headroom adequate? Looks like there's space to stash a pack and shoes in the vestibule towards the foot end.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all!

A little update for you. The weather here has been quite warm and humid, temps in the high 80s-low 90s with humidity hovering around 80-100%. With the ever-present threat of rain at night, the idea of leaving door unzipped is not advised unless you want to get rained on. So, consequently it gets a bit stuffy inside in these conditions.

Holds up really well in a downpour! Site picking is key as usual, Stays dry inside, I am assuming the fabric is permeable to some extent as the fabric "feels" a bit moist, but not actually wet. Condensation has not been an issue which I was surprised by, lack of a peak vent and the stuffiness led me to believe it would be a factor. I think the permeable fabric has a lot to do with that.

Headroom is quite good, although not as good as others since the poles are angled (effectively shortening the max height), I can sit up and move about, read etc. without much problem as the two poles create a ridge of vaulted space. vestibule is nice sized for pack and boots. Door size is adequate, on my last trip, I found that crawling in head first to be easier than scooting in feet first (swapping head/foot ends). The floor is just wide enough to crawl in without crawling over your pad.

Very stable when pitched correctly in high winds, I unroll tent, lay pack on top, stake out four corners and the side opposite the door, then, remove pack and insert poles into grommets and pockets. With final stake, pull out and stake door (This erects the two poles at the same time) then unzip door and lengthen poles. I find it much easier than a dome tent in the wind with separate fly.

One advantage is in a "hurry up and pitch because its raining" scenario, the interior stays fairly dry and upon quick setup, you can pull pack in vestibule and hide from rain while setting up for the night.

I do not recommend cooking in the vestibule! lack of peak vent for gasses and risk of melting your tent is too high and you don't really want to bring food smells to you sleeping area anyway.

Anyway, hope my little review is helpful,

See you on the trail!