Trans Catalina Trail

Hiker22

Get your reservations in ASAP .... You have to camp in designated camp sites with a reservation and since Boy Scouts and other groups will do segments of the trail, it is sometimes hard to get your reservations to line up correctly .... example: you can get camp 1 on Friday, but can't get camp 2 on Saturday and you can get camp 3 on Sunday ... So it's important to plan out your days, figure out which camp you will need each night and then get your reservations in .... You are up on a lot of ridge lines with ocean views, which is awesome, but we ran into a little bit of weather and were getting wind burn ... something we didn't expect ... so I would have good wind gear in shoulder seasons .... other than that, lots of buffalo, nice place for a meal at the Catalina Airport ... all in all a great trip!

Thanks tracedef, Been checking out lots of TR and they seem to echo your suggestion on early reservations. We plan on mid march while he is on spring break from HS, also plan on going M-F and taking our time. Will nail it down soon and get the reservations in. Thanks for the impute!

http://www.visitcatalinaisland.com/camping-boating/primitive-camping

http://socalhiker.net/hiking-trans-catalina-trail/

I have a book on hiking Catalina Island I picked up in Santa Barbara that has many insider details on how to hike this trail. Prepare for some wind.

This hike is on my winter hiking agenda.

The Channel Islands are another nice multi island hike. As with both these hikes as well as Isle Royale NP in Minnesota/Michigan I believe a hike/paddling/boating combination is best offering not only a boots on the ground perspective but also being on and in the water perspective.

• 2 months later...

Not to leave you hanging indefinitely Hiker22 I'm not going to be where that Trans Catalina Tr Hiking book is located for some time. I'm guessing the book I have is in limited print. There's lots of excellent detailed info available on line that one does not absolutely need a hiking book for this hike. FWIW, I've only seen the book I bought being sold in one Cali REI and at a Visitors Center in Santa Barbara.

No worries, have been spending plenty of time online and have already began the campground reservation process. My son and i will be doing the trail in March. Thanks

• 3 months later...

Update: My son and I did the TCT 22-27 March over his Spring Break from High School. Great time, trail is interesting as there are no switchbacks which means up and over every hill on the island. Camping on the beach was nice and seeing all the wildlife was a thrill for my son who loves to take pictures. Do not under estimate this trail, it will wear you out!

• 3 weeks later...