The Making of a Trail Dog

Gary M

TrailGroove readers;

In addition to hiking, I happen to love dogs; Newfoundland dogs to be precise.

Over the next four evenings (starting tonight) I will be posting segments of “The Making of a Trail Dog.” This is the true story of my veteran canine companion Maximus, and the real life challenge of training and developing a new troubled rescue dog for the trail. Much of the content involves dogs and dog training rather than strictly traditional hiking or backpacking subject matter. However, I feel this is still pertinent to this forum as I (along with many others) enjoy hiking or backpacking with a canine companion. If you have never been on the trail with a dog, perhaps this story may offer you some encouragement to try it yourself.

For an excellent primer discussing some of the additional technical issues concerning canines on the trail, see TrailGroove Issue 1; Trekking With Canines; A Quick Guide To Bringing Man's Best Friend Along.

This is the article that sold me on TrailGroove way back in March of 2012. What other publication has an article about trekking with canines in it's very first issue?

Gary M

Olathe, Kansas

Edited by Gary M

The Making of a Trail Dog, or.....

Hiking with a Canine Friend

Part 1

Introduction

I have sometimes wondered how many TrailGroove readers hike or backpack solo versus with a friend or small group. Perhaps like most, I have in the past done some of both. However, I especially enjoy the independence of hiking alone and making all the decisions concerning what schedule and trail to follow, how far to hike, when to go home, and so on. I love the feeling of freedom when hiking by myself. So for the most part, I've hiked solo.

Solo, that is.......except for my faithful companion trail dog. My wife Debbie and I both love dogs, and as a fun hobby have trained and rescued quite a few canines. As you might guess, I especially enjoy hiking with one of our family dogs. There are many sound reasons and advantages of having a good trail dog. Most of all is the loyal companionship and the always ready to please nature of a good dog.

Our preferred breed, is the majestic Newfoundland dog. The Newfoundland is a wonderful breed; combining distinctive, classic good looks and a very sweet-natured temperament. It turns out, Newfies are also great trail dogs. You may recall, Lewis and Clark had a famous Newfoundland named Seaman on their Corps of Discovery Expedition of 1804-1806. Talk about your rugged backpacking trip, this one lasted 3 years into almost unknown territory!

My all time personal favorite trail dog is Maximus. Max is my Newfie rescue dog who years ago we nursed back to good health after a very rough start to his life. With his interesting shaggy hair appearance and very friendly behavior, Max was a natural for the trail. He was always ready and willing for a good hike, and very eager to brave any challenge. I can not even guess how many hikes I have taken with Max over the years, or just how many photos I have of him on the trail. Maximus was pretty well known around local trail-heads, and was popular with other hikers we met on the trail. Every time I had Maximus along on a hike, inevitably someone would ask about Max. I have to admit, the always positive comments and special attention always made me feel great.

post-135-143508722722_thumb.jpg

Maximus exploring a field of Kansas prairie grass

However, some time ago I noticed Maximus was starting to struggle towards the end of hikes, he just could not maintain his usual energy level. Unfortunately, dogs have relatively short life spans, and giant breeds such as Newfoundlands have the shortest.

So I had to face the inevitable hard facts and realize, Maximus needed to go into retirement from our longer hikes. Max will always be my all time favorite canine friend, but at this stage of his life it is better to restrict him to fun trips to the park. But I am not ready to give up hiking, so a new trail companion needed to be found.

Enter Truman, a very troubled dog indeed.

End of Part 1 of “The Making of a Trail Dog”

Tomorrow evening on the TrailGroove Forum..........

The Making of a Trail Dog Part 2: Basic Training

Gary M

Olathe, Kansas

Edited by Gary M

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Looking forward to the rest of the series Gary! Thanks for posting this and glad you liked the article we wrote up all the way back in the first issue! :D

Part 2

Basic Training

In Part 1 of “The Making of a Trail Dog”, I reviewed hiking with my experienced canine companion Maximus and introduced a new dog; Truman.

My wife Debbie brought home Truman in the fall of 2013. I wasn't especially impressed with Truman at first. He wasn't a Newfoundland, but instead was (perhaps) half long-haired Lab and half “whatever climbed over the fence”. In other words, not a particularly great looking dog.

All we really know about Truman is that he was found running wild on Truman Avenue in Kansas City, thus receiving the name “Truman”. That part of the city certainly does not have a good reputation, and stray dogs running loose is unfortunately not unusual. To make things worse, a good intentioned first attempt to adopt Truman had failed and had turned into abuse. It had been decided Truman should be be put down due to his uncontrollable and aggressive behavior. Debbie and I have rescued quite a number of dogs over the years, so we took him on as a project to see if we could help.

By the time we got Truman, he was a real mess. Unlike many of the other rescues we have worked with, his health was relatively good. He had a nasty case of parasites (worms), but this is not too unusual among dogs with a bad history. The main concern was his aggressive behavior which made him a very high risk canine. He also showed classic signs of being abused; shying away from affectionate petting due to previously being struck in an attempt at discipline. He would growl menacingly and lunge or snap at about anyone, especially other dogs. Life on the street is hard, and Truman had obviously had a very troubled past.

At first, Truman was restless and had real difficulty relaxing. He displayed an “escape mentality” not all that uncommon with rescue dogs. This is where the dog has difficulty adapting to his new environment, and is always looking for a way to escape. In fact, we have barely been able to stop Truman several times as he has attempted to run away.

Another concern with Truman was his intense guarding behavior. He would sit by the door or window for hours; guarding his territory from strangers and especially other dogs. If anyone got too close, he would explode in a fury of intense aggressive behavior. The guarding instinct is seen in a number of breeds, although not prominently with Newfoundlands. So it is not a trait with which we previously worked to correct. To top if off, Truman was also food aggressive around our other dogs, again guarding his eating territory from any perceived threats. If you got too close to his food, he would react violently.

Truman's aggression was actually a sign of fear. Fear of being abused, and the stress of having to compete with other street dogs for dominance had resulted in his aggressive behavior.

Time for some behavior modification therapy.

Debbie took the lead and started working with Truman on learning basic obedience and commands with a professional dog trainer we had met in our years of working with canines. The going was slow, but eventually progress started to be made. It turned out Truman (like some other strong willed alpha dogs) performed much better when given consistent structure and responsible discipline. I hope readers not familiar with the training techniques used with an at-risk dog will not judge us too harshly when I note one of the tools utilized was a remote training shock collar.

The purpose of the collar is not to in any way injure or even to discipline the dog, but rather to divert attention away from inappropriate behavior. In dog training circles it's called redirection, and is a very effective tool. A training whistle, which uses the same redirection principle, also works very well. This is the same type of emergency whistle that already is included in most hikers backpacks. The shrill noise produced will definitely get the dogs attention. With Truman and our other dogs, just seeing the whistle usually does the trick.

Mainly, food treats and loving affection are given as a reward for positive behavior. If possible, negative behavior is ignored so as not to reinforce the behavior.

At this stage, Truman was relegated to wearing a muzzle bite mask, which prevents the dog from biting. It's a rather ridiculous looking piece of equipment which made Truman resemble Hannibal Lecter from The Silence of the Lambs. But it is an effective method of safely allowing an aggressive dog learn to interact with people and other dogs.

post-135-143508722731_thumb.jpg

Debbie with Truman, wearing his “Hannibal Lecter” mask.

Debbie and I are also big fans of a product called Gentle Leader. This product allows the dog to be led by the nose rather than the traditional neck collar. Thus the dog doesn't pull so hard when being walked and is easier to control. We used the Gentle Leader and another simple and positive training method, walking Maximus along with Truman. Max's calm behavior helped Truman control his aggression, and they eventually became close pack mates. We also started feeding Truman in his kennel away from the other dogs, thus he was not stressed and was able to eat without displaying food aggression. Eventually Truman was able to interact with our other dogs as a normal member of the family pack.

The goal is to help the dog return to a more natural and calm temperament. A canine can not be expected to behave normally when they are stressed and fear being abused. One of the major concepts we follow is the idea that a dog needs a job; something that will allow the dog to burn off energy and also provide them with a purpose in their life.

Being a trail dog sounded like a good purpose for Truman to me, and certainly would burn off any extra energy which otherwise might be directed into aggressive behavior.

But being on the trail requires a dog exhibit calm behavior, and be under control at all times. This is just an extension of accepted trail etiquette that all hikers and their dogs should follow at all times.

So Truman still had considerable work to do.

End of Part 2 of “The Making of a Trail Dog

The Making of a Trail Dog Part 3: Trail Training

Gary M

Olathe, Kansas

Edited by Gary M

Looking forward to the rest of the series Gary! Thanks for posting this and glad you liked the article we wrote up all the way back in the first issue! :D

Thanks so much!

Part 2 is now available on-line; parts 3 and 4 will have more trail related content.

Gary M

Olathe, Kansas

"Isn't the purpose of hiking and backpacking to enjoy the freedom and wonders of the outdoors? To see and explore the beauty of nature first-hand? To experience the trail as if it is your first time seeing such things?"

Part 3

Trail Training

In Part 2 of “The Making of a Trail Dog”, I described some of the training methods utilized with Truman, and my long term goal of developing him into a companion trail dog.

When you are starting out with a new dog (and especially with a rescue dog) a primary area of concern is “Trust.” This is such a simple concept that you might take it for granted. But after having such a difficult start to his life, we had to earn Truman's trust.

This was accomplished by a few basic techniques such as hand feeding and always treating the dog with a lot of affection. I call this “trust training.” It is a sometimes overlooked, but critical step.

Truman was making progress with his behavior at home, so I decided to try taking him on his first real training hike without his bite-mask in the woods. We hiked almost two hours at Kill Creek, just about 15 miles from our home in Kansas. I noticed a certain reluctance from Truman when we first arrived at the trail-head. He seemed a bit cautious, perhaps as he had never before seen so much open space. It's a phenomenon that can even make people feel a little strange, like a city kid seeing Montana for the first time. Where in the world did all that sky come from?

After a rather slow start, Truman performed pretty well. He was a little disturbed when we were crossing Kill Creek and a trail biker happened to noisily ford the creek nearby. But overall, Truman was continuing to show progress, now at home and on the trail.

post-135-14350872276_thumb.jpg

Truman taking a break at Kill Creek, September 2014

Finally, Truman was ready to meet some new challenges. Socialization is a perhaps the most critical factor effecting canine behavior. Obviously, Truman had not been properly socialized to other dogs or new people.

Training had gotten to a point where Truman interacted well with our family, including our other three dogs. We felt he was ready for new challenges. So in late summer my wife Debbie and I took two of our other dogs (Maximus and Maya) along with Truman to a nice local dog park area so he would have an opportunity to meet some new dogs. Driving to the park, I felt this this could be a big mistake, Truman could revert to his past aggressive behavior. We had on his shock collar, leash, and muzzle guard just in case. I was prepared for the worst.

But to my amazement, Truman remained calm and enjoyed the park. We even walked him on his leash to the beach where he immediately jumped into the lake. As far as we know, this was the first time Truman had actually been for a swim. Some canine instincts are never forgotten!

We took Truman a number of times either to dog park or on some local trail. His behavior continued to improve, but I still had a goal of training him as a real trail dog. To me at least, this requires a greater degree of responsibility and discipline.

It is important to think about how your canine companion will be utilized while on the trail. One of the Leave No Trace Principles is, “Respect Wildlife.” What happens if your dog comes across some local wildlife; can they be 100% trusted not to give chase or even bark? Suppose you see a deer? Now consider other situations; suppose you encounter a bear? There aren't any bears here in Kansas, but you must consider your local possibilities.

I almost always keep my dog on a leash, but many other hikers allow their dog off leash. This is critical, as a dog hiking off the leash must still be under complete control. Some people you might meet on the trail simply do not like dogs, and many areas require dogs be kept on a leash. Any good trail dog (on or off leash) must be under voice command at all times, with a strong emphasis on the “heel” and “stay” commands.

There are a host of other decisions which you should consider before taking your dog on the trail for the first time. If your canine has been relegated to the yard, you will need to slowly build up the dogs fitness level. What about using a dog backpack or dog booties on the trail? Do you allow your dog to drink from creeks and streams, or carry extra water for your friend? At times I use a dog pack, but not dog booties. I don't allow my dogs to drink untreated water, but some hikers do otherwise.

Through the years of hiking with my dog I've developed a routine at the end of my trip. Back at the trail head I take time for one final water break and check for stickers and thorns in my dogs coat. As an aid in this effort, I recommend hikers carry a scissors and pliers; a Leatherman does the job just fine. On The Drive Home, I usually treat myself and my canine companion to tacos or a hamburger. Once back home, it's time for a brushing, tick check, and a quick doggie bath. It's important at his point to make sure your dog is allowed to rest in a cool area and have plenty of clean drinking water available. There are many such considerations and your actions will depend on your unique situation and preferences.

End of Part 3 of “The Making of a Trail Dog

The Making of a Trail Dog Part 4: Conclusion and Postscript

Gary M

Olathe, Kansas

post-135-143508722745_thumb.jpg

Truman and Maximus: A dogs eye view of the trail

Edited by Gary M

Part 4

Conclusion

In Part 3 of “The Making of a Trail Dog”, I reviewed the further training of Truman, our mixed breed rescue dog, and our first efforts on the trail.

In order to be more than a ordinary owner just taking a dog for a walk, somewhere along in this whole process the hiker and dog must develop a deeper bond. They must learn to work as one. They must be able to work as a team.

With my previous canine trail companions, teamwork seemed a natural development and did not take a whole lot of additional training. My Newfoundland Maximus just seemed to instinctively know how to follow a trail. If we came to an unfamiliar fork in the trail, he would slow down and look to me for guidance. When I stopped for a water break, to check my map, or take some photos he seemed to be in sync with my actions.

Truman does not seem to have these same instincts, at least not to the same degree. I believe this goes back to the tendencies of his breed, his genetic predisposition. My wife and I have considerable dog training knowledge and ability, but fully understand we are not professional trainers. I have struggled trying to further develop Truman to a more advanced level of trail ability. Perhaps only time may further my cause.

It's important to note there are a number of training methods and philosophies on how to best go about working with dogs. I would say we use a varied assortment of different approaches. Not one method works in all situations, so I feel it's best to use whichever method works for a particular dog.

Not every day or situation will be a success. At times Truman regressed and his behavior had to be corrected. Sometimes you just have to go back to the basics and retrain all over again.

Truman's behavior around dogs other than our own is still very questionable. Debbie and I have rescued other dogs and were able to put them up for adoption so we might take on other rescues and have had very good results. I don't believe we could ever chance this with Truman. His insecurity and aggressive behavior towards other dogs is just too strong. It has taken well over a year just to progress this far.

Today I feel we can say we have had a great deal of success with Truman. At our home he is a very sweet and affectionate dog. Most of his aggression and guarding behavior has been redirected to diligently watching over Debbie as she does paperwork at night. He still loves to sit on our back deck and guard against a large albino squirrel who lives in our tree. He very much enjoys taking hikes and performs pretty well on the trail. I don't believe Truman will ever be as technically sound of a trail dog as Maximus has been over the years. But then, with additional experience perhaps he will surprise me yet again.

post-135-143508722773_thumb.jpg

Truman guarding our deck and tree against renegade squirrels

Postscript

As of this writing Truman is still relatively young, less than 3 years old. He has many years and fun hikes in his future to continue to learn and develop. Maximus, my other rescue dog, continues to be my all-time world class favorite. Truman and Max love to hang out together at our home, sharing play time and naps. They both represent real hope for other rescue dogs and against-the-odds survivors of canine abuse and neglect.

post-135-143508722787_thumb.jpg

Truman and Max in the backyard, note Truman is still on guard

The ASAPA estimates about 40% of American households have a dog, accounting for somewhere between 70 to 80 million dogs in the United States. This does not include the estimated millions of strays on the streets without a home. Per the ASPCA, 1.4 million dogs are adopted from shelters each year, but an additional 1.2 million are euthanized.

Adopting a rescue dog (or any dog for that matter) and training to be a canine trail companion or even just a regular household pet takes a substantial commitment of time, effort, patience, and money.

I promise you it is worth it!

post-135-143508722801_thumb.jpg

Happy trails and sweet dreams from Truman and his family

Gary M

Olathe, Kansas

• Like 1

Nice to see you giving so much care and attention (and affection!) to your dog Gary.

PaulGS;

Thank you, Part 4 (Conclusion and Postscript) in now available here on the TG Forum.

I thought Truman and Maximus might make an uplifting story, and a good way to end 2014. I don't do a lot of winter hiking, but am eagerly awaiting spring so I can get back on the trail with Truman.

Thanks again to all who read the story.... Happy Holidays from Kansas!

post-135-143508722816_thumb.jpg

Truman taking a water break on a hot day in Kansas

Gary M

Olathe, Kansas

Edited by Gary M

Jarrett.Morgan

Great story and I wanted to wait until the end before I commented. Its nice to see another pet adopter out that that hikes as well. I am so glad you were able to help with the recovery of an adopted pet. Truman is still young and will have plenty of time to pick up more trail knowledge as he ages.

And I look forward to reading more about your future adventures with Truman. Again, thank you for sharing this great story.

• Like 1