Framed packs for kids?

Gearspoke

Has anyone been able to find a good 12 year old sized framed backpack that is well made? I have seen some in the local sporting goods store, but they seem so flimsy. My little brother is about 4'8" so most of the adult packs are way too big, and the ones that do fit him are womens , which he refuses to wear (12 year old boys). Any suggestions on a good framed pack?

REI passage 65. It's great.

Putting a 65 L, 4.5 lb pack on a 12-year-old sounds like borderline child abuse! ;-) A better choice might be the Passage 38, which weighs half as much and can still hold a week's worth of summer food and gear if you pack carefully.

Your brother is at age that can be tough to fit. Some of the smaller sized youth packs might fit him now but a few months or a year from now would be too small. You should have his torso measured- or you can do it yourself with sewers tape measure- and go from there. You'll need the waist measurement too. I'll be taking my 13 yo. daughter backpacking this coming spring break. She still just barely fits a Kelty Tioga Jr. External Frame pack I bought for her when she was 10, but she's long legged (and thus has a short torso.) Maybe look at the Kelty Sanitas (used to be Tioga Jr.) and slightly larger Kelty Yukon packs if you are looking for something stout but designed to fit youths.

Your brother is at age that can be tough to fit. Some of the smaller sized youth packs might fit him now but a few months or a year from now would be too small. You should have his torso measured- or you can do it yourself with sewers tape measure- and go from there. You'll need the waist measurement too. I'll be taking my 13 yo. daughter backpacking this coming spring break. She still just barely fits a Kelty Tioga Jr. External Frame pack I bought for her when she was 10, but she's long legged (and thus has a short torso.) Maybe look at the Kelty Sanitas (used to be Tioga Jr.) and slightly larger Kelty Yukon packs if you are looking for something stout but designed to fit youths.

I think planning for the future is the best way to go since this kid is growing like a weed. I'm thinking for the time being, he can get a pack big enough to last him until he can use the current pack I'm using, then I can get a new one :))) I had my eye on this one for quite some time now:http://www.kelty.com/p-878-red-cloud-110.aspx?category=backpacks

Check out the Osprey Jib and Ace. Made for kids and the jib is on sale for around $118.

Just bought my 12yo daughter the jib. Did not get to try it out yet.

HikahHikah1-9
Putting a 65 L, 4.5 lb pack on a 12-year-old sounds like borderline child abuse! ;-) A better choice might be the Passage 38, which weighs half as much and can still hold a week's worth of summer food and gear if you pack carefully.
I use it, and I got it when I was eleven. Its was perfect, and it still is. Well worth the weight.

I use it, and I got it when I was eleven. Its was perfect, and it still is. Well worth the weight.

Thank you for the advice! Good to know that they last! Also, we have younger ones to do the hard larbor! lol