Pack Size??

JHaveman

I am looking to get a new backpack (my first real pack, actually). I am currently looking at either the Osprey Aether 60 or Osprey Atmos 65. I will be doing mostly 3-season hiking for a maximum of 3-4 days. I can’t see myself doing anything more than that for quite some time – and more often will be doing just 2 day trips, but I want to get something that will last me.

Are those the right sizes to be looking at?

Should I be looking at a different model?

Thanks for the help!

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

What's the rest of your gear looking like? I don't have experience with either of those two packs but they'd probably be a good general all around size. For reference I use a ULA Circuit for all trips from overnights (Some extra space, no big deal) to 10 days (Kinda pushing it) @ about 68 liters / 4200 cubic inches with all storage included. (~48 liter main compartment w/extension collar) This is with a down bag, down insulation, inflatable pad, and a single wall shelter...Nothing needs to be strapped outside. Most of my gear packs up pretty small, but the pack has enough space where I don't even worry about stuffing my bag, sleeping pad, clothes, etc. - They all just go in a big dry bag at the bottom of the pack. I could get away with a smaller pack for a lot of trips, but I like to keep it simple.

I use an osprey exos 48. I personally think 50L packs are plenty big for multi day trips if you try not to over pack. As far as brand, go to a store and have them load them up with 20-30 lbs and wear them around the store after having someone at the store size your torso length to a pack. That will let you know what fits you. Different brands fit differently.

I am actually in the process of collecting all of my gear, so maybe those are the questions I should ask first. I am looking at getting a 2 or 3-person tent (really a 2-person but just with a bit more room for 2 to fit comfortably). I don't know what sleeping bag to look into (probably down since it packs up smaller, right?), inflatable sleep pad, and I am still trying to nail down the stove, cookware situation. So any suggestions along those lines would help tremendously!

I am looking to get a new backpack (my first real pack, actually). I am currently looking at either the Osprey Aether 60 or Osprey Atmos 65. I will be doing mostly 3-season hiking for a maximum of 3-4 days.

Are those the right sizes to be looking at?

For summer backpacking without technical climbing, 60-65L is huge. I have far from the smallest/lightest gear, and a 45L pack works for single-day technical climbing and up to a week or so of solo summer backpacking. If you buy a bigger pack, you'll just fill it up with more stuff. I'd look for the simplest, lightest thing you can find -- basically, a sack with a top pocket, compression straps, and a few external attachment points. The Aether weighs 4.5 lbs, while a similarly-priced CiloGear weighs less than 2.