Brow Pole problems

kwhowell

I have owned several tents over the last decade and would like to think that I'm a natural at setting up these homes away from home. However, last year I purchased a Kelty Acadia 4 and had a heck of a time getting the brow pole - I believe this is what the cross pole in the fly is called - to seat into the pockets as it was supposed to. I ended up having to remove the fly, take the pole apart, insert the ends of the pole into the provided slots, snapping the pole back together, and then putting it back over the tent. Since this was such a pain I considered cutting the pole by about an inch, but I rarely use this tent and decided just to deal with the inconvenience. Plus, the pole is really heavy duty so I'm not worried about damaging it when I apply the pressure to snap it back together.

Last night I used my dividend and picked up an MSR Hubba Hubba and had pretty much the exact same issue when I set it up in my yard. I was like an inch short of being able to seat the grommet properly over the brow pole. I double checked the instructions and I followed the same set-up order they suggested with no avail. I ended up finding a method that works but can't help but think something is wrong since all the reviews talk about how easy the tent is to set up.

I don't know if this is user error or something is off with the tents. I'm curious, though, if anyone else has had similar issues with a brow pole being too long when they purchased a new tent or any similar issues. Also, does anyone have suggestions on how to deal with this?

I guess I could call the manufacturers to see what the proper measurements should be and take it from there?

AdventureMyk

I've had a few that were really tight the first time or two then loosened up with some use. Also, the colder it is the more contracted the fabric is. It will loosen up as she warms up outside.

I've had a few that were really tight the first time or two then loosened up with some use. Also, the colder it is the more contracted the fabric is. It will loosen up as she warms up outside.

In my experience with aluminum poles, the warmer it gets, the greater the problem. The aluminum expands more with temp increase than the fabric. Another contributing factor is moisture. The drier the fabric, the more it shrinks. The only tent I have with a brow pole is indeed tight, but never to the point where I couldn't get the pole in.

I think grizzled has touched upon a possible solution. Nylon will stretch a bit when wet, so try soaking the fly for a while in a clean bucket or something- probably prudent to avoid high pressure spray from a garden hose or such- then try inserting the brow pole, set the tent up and let it dry.