Red River Gorge (KY)

wspscott

http://backpackandbeer.blogspot.com/2015/03/up-creek-no-paddle-needed.html

A quick overnight trip to a new place. I saw some pretty trashed out campsites and I am getting tired of carrying out other people's garbage, so I am not specifically naming them. If anyone wants more info, feel free to ask.

Here are a couple pictures with a lot more on my blog (I took my SLR, so there are lots of pics

_DSC0168.JPG

_DSC0094.JPG

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Great photos! Looks like a really scenic place.

Great photos! Looks like a really scenic place.

The Red River Gorge is an awesome place, but I really wish I could spend some time in your backyard.

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

It's definitely hard to complain, but I've always wanted to visit Red River Gorge. Our waterfalls look more like this right now, although not for long -

post-3-143508724818_thumb.jpg

I had been hoping to do my trip a couple weeks earlier, but that fell apart. The highs in the beginning of March were in the 20s and I was hoping for frozen waterfalls. Wouldn't have looked like yours though :) Great pic.

Here is another pic to entice you to visit the gorge

IMG_20141226_145037.jpg

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Definitely looks like some interesting terrain wspscott...I'll keep it on the list of places to check out next time I'm out that way!

• 2 months later...

The 319 or so mile Sheltowee Trace Trail goes through Red River Gorge. I had a great time sandwiching a fantastic loop into a SOBO ST thru-hike last fall by combining the ST through Red River Gorge with other trails in the gorge and/or with trails in the adjacent Clifty Wilderness and/or in Natural Bridge. Escarpments, rock houses, ledges, waterfalls, streams, rivers, ARCHES, other geological formations, CLIMBING, and some deep solitude in Clifty Wilderness can be had. Maps can be had here: http://rrgtoday.com/maps.html I simply went with my free ST maps though which did fine. Red River Gorge also puts out a free paper trail map that thy will mail to you for the asking if you inquire.

• 1 month later...

This was the first SUMMER season I was able to hike at RRG.  I was able to hike 10 miles this past Saturday - the weather was perfect, and the trails weren't as crowded as I expected.  The picture below is a panoramic from Court House Rock Trail...

RRG CHR.JPG

• 1 month later...