pasting into the forums

balzaccom

OK---I've tried to post three different trip reports into these forums

They won't allow me to paste in anything, so I have to key in everything manually. And the software won't keep up with my typing. I have to slow down and type e a c h k e y s l o o o w l y.

That's why I haven't posted my trip reports and photos from Death Valley, Yosemite, and the Andes in Peru.

Very frustrating.

If you want to see them, you can read our blog at backpackthesierra.com

Grrrrrrrrr.

OK---I've tried to post three different trip reports into these forums

They won't allow me to paste in anything, so I have to key in everything manually. And the software won't keep up with my typing. I have to slow down and type e a c h k e y s l o o o w l y.

That's why I haven't posted my trip reports and photos from Death Valley, Yosemite, and the Andes in Peru.

Very frustrating.

If you want to see them, you can read our blog at backpackthesierra.com

Grrrrrrrrr.

I've been posting at TrailGroove for almost 3 years, and have never once had a problem. Perhaps some tech issue??

Gary M

Olathe, Kansas

I can't image what it is....

I post on eight other forums without a problem. Only this one...

when I first started posting on this forum, I got the issue you described with typing in comments: had to type VERY slowly. It went away by itself after a couple of weeks (I think). That was a year ago, no problem since. Not sure what caused the issue, as I never inquired. Don't give up! Good trip reports are always appreciated!!

Yeah, it seems to vary from computer to computer...as my computer at home has fewer problems with it.

I am still confused about what kind of software I could use to cut and paste posts here...what I post on other forums requires a ton of reformatting, and deletes all photos...

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Hey balzaccom, sorry for the late reply and sorry for the trouble! You should be able to paste text for a new thread without any issues. If it's the same problem you had a while back, it's most likely because you're copying from a source that contains specific instructions regarding font, size, and text color - Here the text in posts is the same font / size / color so basically those instructions aren't recognized and result in the code that you might be seeing. (If this is the issue) What I would suggest is either copying the source, pasting (via right click options or CTRL+C / CTRL+V) into something like Notepad on your computer and then recopying and pasting that here. Also, you might give the buttons towards the upper left of the editor a try: Paste from Word, Paste as Plain Text, and Remove Format - The last option might be particularly useful if this is the problem you're having. One thing to try is pasting the text and in editor source mode, highlight all text (Left click and drag or CTRL+A) and click the "Remove Format" button and all code tags will be removed in one swoop.

Also, there there are a few different types of editors available. The standard "what you see is what you get editor" as well as the standard and basic editors. You can toggle between WYSIWYG and the source mode by utilizing the upper left most button in the editor while replying or posting a new thread. If you find that you prefer or have better luck with the alternative editor, you can set the standard editor to your personal default by logging in, then starting on the upper right of your screen browsing to Settings-->General Settings. Under "Miscellaneous Options" select your preferred editor and save changes. You can easily add images to a thread using the "Insert Image" button, then as you'd prefer selecting "From Computer" or "From URL" to insert images into the post. Once the images are there you can cut and paste to arrange as needed and the ideas in the first paragraph might help with a copy / paste here as well.

Regarding the slow typing issue, I can see how that could be pretty frustrating and this is the first I've heard of this happening. I just tried in the latest versions of several major browsers on different platforms and connections and wasn't able to replicate the issue, curious as to what browser type / version you're using and on what type of device you're encountering this issue?

Hopefully some of this helps, let me know!

Thanks Aaron. I've tried most of that, without great results. It's odd that I post on about eight different boards, and this is the only one with that kind of an issue. I'll keep playing around with things. I wish I could include the photos in my posts....they are pretty darn cool.

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

As far as images go, the "Insert Image" button is definitely the best bet for adding photos, but a copy / paste could potentially work in some circumstances depending on the source. I'll send you a PM and perhaps we can work through a specific example to figure everything out!