Do you wear blue jeans on the hiking trail?

Wood Violet

Wood Violet

I have heard and read that cotton is a poor choice for clothing and will make you cold when it gets wet and stays wet. So plan to get more of the wicking type fabrics. However I do see a lot of photos of people backpacking and notice they are wearing jeans. So do you wear jeans on the trails with okay results? Or do you wear nylon, polyester type blends? I have some jeans that have a little polyester and spandex in them, so they are somewhat stretchy. Any thoughts on this?

SparbaniePhoto

Cotton, in my opinion, is awful for the trail. I suppose it could be argued that jeans can take a good amount of punishment, but I would never wear them. Synthetic blends and merino wool are just about all I use. It's hard to go wrong with Patagonia or Mountain Hardwear. They're easier to move in, they dry quickly, and they're typically very light. They can be expensive, but they'll last a long, long time, and you'll be a comfortable.

• Premium Member

I agree with SparbaniePhoto.... cotton is just not a great choice. Although I have done some shorter day hikes in jeans, I generally prefer synthetic blend hiking pants - I use an older version of these from REI that have lasted several years:

http://www.rei.com/product/877611/rei-northway-convertible-pants-womens

They are somewhat lightweight (good for layering), great at wicking moisture and made to stretch in the right places.

In my opinion, if it is a shorter walk without much exertion (i.e. no sweat), no rain or snow, not too hot or humid, and no river/stream crossings, and you don't mind possibly ruining the jeans, then they are fine. Usually my hikes don't fit that description :)

Wood Violet

Yes, Yes,Yes! As Jen and Sparbaniephoto have noted, cotton is not a good choice for real backpacking or hiking. Moisture is the problem, either from sweat, creek crossings, or rain/snow.

And don't ever make the mistake of thinking you won't get wet. It is inevitable, just no getting around it. Even if you're lucky and avoid the creeks and there is no participation, you have to sweat. It's the bodys' natural cooling system and the whole reason you have to bring an adequate water supply to hydrate. Otherwise you'll have major problems ranging from headaches all the way to a potential stroke.

When cotton gets wet it's uncomfortable and potentially dangerous when the temperature drops. Ask any hiker/backpacker and they will tell you the same thing.

Wicking and layering are the key words you need to become familiar with. I use The North Face convertible hiking pants with the zip off leggings which double as shorts. I love them as I can use them for about anything. They aren't cheap, but have a lifetime warranty. They also have a Ultraviolet Protection Factor (UPF) of 50, which is important if you are fair-skinned as I am.

Good luck, be safe, have fun!

Gary M

Olathe,Kansas

Wood Violet, I agree with everyone else. Cotton = bad choice. You are better off purchasing a pair of hiking pants - and any style is going to be superior to jeans. Jeans are great for hanging around the firepit in your backyard, but not for any serious multi-day hiking trip.

• 2 weeks later...

I would never wear jeans in backcountry. Only cotton is in the desert when its very hot but I still prefer synthetics. I'm always surprised when I see jeans in the Presidentials or Katahdin on a cloudy damp day.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

While I would never wear blue jeans while hiking or doing trail work (too heavy, constrictive and causes nasty rashes when wet), I am not a pure NO COTTON at all disciple.

My favorite day hiking shirt is a 65/35 poly-cotton blend short sleeve dress shirt from the thrifter. Lots of ventilation, dries quickly because it is thin, very durable and dirt cheap. I prefer this shirt for hiking over a technical t-shirt. I also hike in a similar long sleeve shirt for many trail miles.

I don't think it is so much cotton kills, it is that WET COTTON KILLS...when it is cold out.

While I would never wear blue jeans while hiking or doing trail work (too heavy, constrictive and causes nasty rashes when wet), I am not a pure NO COTTON at all disciple.

My favorite day hiking shirt is a 65/35 poly-cotton blend short sleeve dress shirt from the thrifter. Lots of ventilation, dries quickly because it is thin, very durable and dirt cheap. I prefer this shirt for hiking over a technical t-shirt. I also hike in a similar long sleeve shirt for many trail miles.

I don't think it is so much cotton kills, it is that WET COTTON KILLS...when it is cold out.

back in the 70s i wore jeans quite a bit.i didn't die.you wore cotton or wool. i still wear cotton t shirts on hot summer days.actually keeps me cooler than wicking fabrics.

cotton & cold is a different story.as long as you have dry clothes to change into at the end of the day, you won't die.

that being said,jeans are not very comfortable when its hot, humid and/or wet.there are better choices today that werent available years ago.i currently favor rei's lightweight nylon cargo pants w/o the zip off legs.