REI Dividend

Aaron Zagrodnick

I once new a young man who was a gear nut. And he loved backpacking. Sometimes he had a job. Most times he didn't. Once I asked him, "How do you afford all that gear? What do you live on?"

"Well I get my REI dividend next week."

Trekkerman

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aaron Zagrodnick

• AdventureMyk

• John B

• tmountainnut

Aaron,

Thanks for the heads up! As I'm still waiting for mail to catch up to me (forwarded from my home due to fire), I had forgotten about the dividend. Just checked, mine is in, and it's fairly large. Time to go shopping!

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

The Symnat UL7 is what I planned to get before tripping into a deal on a pair of Big Agnes Insulated Air Cores. The 78" Big Ag works perfectly for me and doesn't need to be any wider than the normal 20". The more I look at them, the more I'm liking the Comfort Plus and the dial a comfort idea. I, too, use the Aeros pillow and LOVE the design. Three breaths to fully inflate, lay down, keep a finger on the adjust valve, nestle into it, tap button a few times, and snooze city... The fast inflate/deflate alone will have me selling the nearly new Big Agnes pads. They take forever to air up or down.

The Synmat UL7 has worked out really well in my case AdventureMyk, reviewed it way back in Issue 4 and they're still going strong. On the Sea to Summit mats the Comfort Plus does looks great though the r-value of the Ultralight Insulated and the lower weight caught my eye...For most of the trips I go on I've found an r-value in the low 3's or so to be about right. But you can always boost that with a lightweight foam pad and I'd imagine that with the two independent layers on the Comfort Plus, it's pretty comfortable! Looks like it's available in a rectangular version, as well.

Aaron,

Thanks for the heads up! As I'm still waiting for mail to catch up to me (forwarded from my home due to fire), I had forgotten about the dividend. Just checked, mine is in, and it's fairly large. Time to go shopping!

No problem John! Haven't received the official notice in the mail yet here either...Glad to hear that the dividend worked out well on your side!

This is actually the first dividend I have gotten since I graduated, and the first time I have had the means to buy the big ticket items on my wishlist. That being said, I haven't ever paid close attention to the REI coupons. Can any of you give a ball park time frame for when the 20% coupon is released? Is the coupon only for REI brand products, one product, an entire order?

I guess I'm just too impatient to wait and see. :)

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Looks like the coupon will be out on 3/27 and run until 4/13. It's a 20% coupon for any full priced item (REI brand or not...with a few exclusions) and usually one outlet item as well.

This is actually the first dividend I have gotten since I graduated, and the first time I have had the means to buy the big ticket items on my wishlist. That being said, I haven't ever paid close attention to the REI coupons. Can any of you give a ball park time frame for when the 20% coupon is released? Is the coupon only for REI brand products, one product, an entire order?

I guess I'm just too impatient to wait and see. :)

The 20% coupon is usually with the dividend check and can be used on most items, the exceptions being some of the electronics/cameras, and some bike stuff. Always noted on coupon. I've bought a Garmin GPS unit and a nice sleeping bag (North Face Hightail 3S) in the past, paid almost entirely with the dividend. If you don't have an REI credit card, GET ONE! We use it to buy just about everything that isn't purchased at Costco. Over a year, those percentages add up.

I could use a pair of gloves or glove liners...my dividend might just cover it. You know, you can use your dividend at the garage sales if you're looking for some good deals.

Mine's not as big as I hoped (I usually buy stuff on sale). I need rain pants & tent stakes. Maybe order dehydrated food from them too.