Newbie, camping clothes

Reflex

I wear the polycotton shirt for three season only.

I'll switch to a thermal baselayer for winter or colder hiking in general.

For summer, I use clothes and a wide hat instead of sunblock. I should note I have a natural "olive" (light tan) complexion.  I rarely use bug dope here in Colorado. Other areas will be different.

In winter, I am wearing thick socks to go with my ski touring boots. May want to read the winter backpacking article that come out recently? Really goes into details quite a bit for winter. http://www.trailgroove.com/issue26.html?autoflip=17  Different ball of wax from three season backpacking for sure.

I really like the Marmot Precip rain gear, and they're reasonably priced. For summer hiking pants, I like the Columbia Silver Ridge pants ($60). I've used them on 90+degree days in the Grand Canyon and they've done well. I'll also second them mention of Darn Tough socks, especially with their unconditional guarantee, which means if you can wear them out, they'll replace them. I've purchased thermals at Walmart before and used them on a November hike to Devil's Head fire lookout in Colorado and they did fine, although I've upgraded since and definitely prefer the pricier options.

Thank you. I just got me some Mountain Gear convertible pants on sale which had my 33 size.

For Merino socks, I aint payin 17 dollars at least to start with, so Ill go with Paul Mags suggestion from Underwear Guys.

Not sure if to buy a Merino top and bottom from Icebreaker on sale right now for about $90, or go with a polyprop top and bottom for $20....?

7 hours ago, Reflex said:

Not sure if to buy a Merino top and bottom from Icebreaker on sale right now for about $90

Get this! Icebreaker changed my life. I'll never hike in a stinky polypro shirt again. The only trouble I've had with Icebreaker is their sizing is really inconsistent, but if you order off their web site you send send stuff back if it doesn't fit.

The best hiking pants I've had are Prana Zion convertibles, for the record.

Darn Tough are my go-to socks, but I think Smartwools are warmer. It makes me laugh that anyone would complain about the price of Darn Tough or Smartwool socks - it means you haven't done much hiking in other socks. If you don't spend $600 on a tent, you can afford lots of expensive socks. ;) 

Thank you

Peeps, so after the base layer, comes something like a fleece? Should mid layer be snug? If yes fleece, wondering which Columbia fleece model you could reco? I know the are not as serious but good price

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

I don't take a fleece, as the only one I have is too heavy and bulky. (Old school REI 300 weight I believe) But I can see how a fleece would work well in winter. For a mid-layer I just take a long sleeve zip neck shirt, (Capilene or similar) with the weight of that depending on the season. I like a looser comfortable fit here but that's just me!

On February 9, 2016 at 6:46 AM, toejam said:

The best hiking pants I've had are Prana Zion convertibles, for the record.

Toejam - I've had my eye on these for a while as a possible replacement for my aging REI Sahara pants which have been replaced by a different version...how are these in regards to hot weather/breathability? I know there's always shorts mode, but when it's hot I actually like to wear convertible pants as pants and use the leg zippers for venting...thanks!

Prana Zion pants are not hot and breathe really well. They stretch a little and are very comfortable.

Lots of people have given up on fleece, but I keep coming back to my Columbia mid-weight fleece jacket. It's so durable and breathes so well I can hike in it when it's cold. My lightweight puffy is delicate and doesn't breathe well enough to hike in. I'll bring the puffy on summer trips for around camp and leave the fleece home. The most useless gear I've ever carried in a backpack is fleece pants. I've never been cold enough to wear them, including climbing glaciated peaks.

My mid layer is either an Icebreaker long sleeve t-shirt (200 wt.) or a cotton or cotton blend long sleeve collared shirt. I live in CA and don't get much rain - almost never carry rain pants.

• Like 1

Joe from NorCal

Andrew Skurka has a great article about a three season clothing system. 

3 season clothing system

He talks about how to use all the clothes you bring with you in a systematic way. Combine his approach with Mags' articles and you'll be in good shape. Also, pay attention to where you're going to be hiking and compare it to the recommendations. I hike in the Sierras and don't have to deal with humidity. Breathability is a much more important issue for you than me. 

thank u!

I ordered a Merino Icebreaker (Oasis), they are on sale.

I already had this for fleece: http://www.amazon.com/Columbia-Steens-Mountain-Fleece-Jacket/dp/B0076R6L58/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1455299685&sr=1-1&keywords=columbia+steens

Not sure if my fleece needs to fit snug? The one I have doesnt, more loungy but mine is a Large. Maybe get another in Medium. They are pretty warm. 

For down jacket, I have this one, not warm except for layering:

http://www.uniqlo.com/us/product/men-ultra-light-down-jacket-156558.html#26~/men/outerwear-and-blazers/ultra-light-down/water-defender-jackets/~

So, still not sure what I need to get. A more fitted fleece?

I also ride bike a bit, so, it would be great to get an outer layer that suits that too. :)

Just received some convertible pants I ordered. When I walk I can feel the convertible zipper a bit on my knees. Normal? Or return?

Just received some convertible pants I ordered. When I walk I can feel the convertible zipper a bit on my knees. Normal? Or return?

Still not clear on upper layers.

I have an Icebreaker now, long sleeve, mid zip. So in cold weather just add fleece and down jacket. Ok.

What about in not but chilly weather? In other words, I think I need to get some kind of jacket instead of fleece and down jacket?

When would I wear one of those dressy long sleeve shirts?

The Andrew Skurka long sleeve suggestions...he suggests a bunch that dont exist anymore.