convertible pants

Reflex

27 minutes ago, Reflex said:

Are the Prana Zions suitable for warm weather?

They breathe really well. I never felt like they were hot; cooler than jeans. I have some Prana's that are black I've worn mountain climbing and they are hot in the sun, but the convertibles are tan and don't have that problem.

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

I've been holding off on buying the Zions for a while just due to the price but found them on sale at Backcountry: 

http://www.backcountry.com/prana-stretch-zion-convertible-pant-mens

...and now have a pair on the way. My REI Sahara convertibles have been great but are about ready to throw in the towel...hope these work out and thanks for the recent info on these @toejam!

Today at REI, tried both Kuhls and Zions, both great.

Kuhls more functional, better pockets, Zions better style and that built in belt is great. Going Zions. 

Most REI clothes dont fit me. Mediums too tight, Larges too big. They need to refine their tailoring.

NorcalBowhunter
18 hours ago, Reflex said:

Today at REI, tried both Kuhls and Zions, both great.

Kuhls more functional, better pockets, Zions better style and that built in belt is great. Going Zions. 

Most REI clothes dont fit me. Mediums too tight, Larges too big. They need to refine their tailoring.

Yeah I've always been told that REI brands are off in their sizes but run cheaper then other brands but they still have a good collection of hiking clothes to pick from. Glad you found something to work for you.

I have to weigh in and say I like the convertible pants, but they have to be a good quality pants.  My first pair was from Campmor and I ordered them online.  Big mistake.  They were store brand and fit really badly.  My next pair I bought from REI and they were Columbia.  Better fit and have lasted for several years.  

Aside from fit, I like convertible pants because when it's cool in the morning I can wear them as long pants and when it warms up, I just zip off the bottoms and I have shorts on!  Like Aaron, I've also vented my convertible pants by unzipping halfway.  This can feel a little strange until you get used to it, but it works in a pinch.

so as i have tried on various hiking/backpacking pants, they all have a baggy leg cut and look like raver pants from the 90s?? any that dont?

Another option to convertible pants are thermal bottoms worn underneath shorts. Thet are light weight, warm and comfortable  and I  always carry a pair in my day pack for sudden temperature drops. Easy to slip on and off.  You can get different weight thermals depending on your preference. 

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Did you feel that way about the Zions, Reflex? The pair I recently picked up fit similar to normal jeans, although I did order the smaller of the two sizes I couldn't decide on.