Issue 42 has been released! Download your own high definition PDF copy with a Premium Membership or read online here.

Aaron

Klamath-Siskiyou Wildflowers along the PCT

Aaron

The Klamath-Siskiyou region of northern California is a rugged and remote region characterized by spectacular mountains, clear rivers, and sublime hiking trails, including beautiful stretches of the Pacific Crest Trail. Official wilderness areas abound, including the Trinity Alps Wilderness, Marble Mountain Wilderness, Siskiyou Wilderness, and Russian Wilderness. It’s one of the most biodiverse places on Earth, with dozens of types of plants and animals found nowhere else on the planet. There are 36 species of conifers, more than any temperate forest in the world, and over 240 varieties of endemic vascular plants, including gorgeous wildflowers...

@Bigtrout with a guide on wildflowers you might see along this section of the Pacific Crest Trail, take a look in Issue 30:

Klamath-Siskiyou Wildflowers

Wildflowers along the Pacific Crest Trail.jpg

Issue 30 Page 1

Dogwood

If one loves biodiversity of plants including conifers I've been noticing some loops and great pt to pt hikes involving the PCT and Big Foot Trail. BFT has made it's way into my next Top 5 hikes desired to be experienced for its biodiversity of plants in a region largely underutilized by the hiking community. I'm still pinching myself for missing this yrs ALDHA West Gathering where Fireweed was on the events speaking agenda with a talk about the BFT. 

ppine

I worked with native vegetation a lot in forestry and range.  Southern Oregon and northern California is a kind of biological crossroads.   Many different habitat types and veg communities occur in close proximity.   There large numbers of species and it is a great place to botanize for wild flowers, especially at certain times of the year after wetter winters.  Late June to early August is usually best.