2018 Hiking Trips and Plans?

Aaron Zagrodnick

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Happy new year! 

Wanted to see what everyone’s plans were this year. I plan to explore some routes here in the Winds that will go through some new areas to me, and hopefully visit a couple Wilderness Study Areas in WY and/or the surrounding states during the shoulder seasons. 

What does everyone else have planned this year?

Planning on doing the Roan Highlands or the Virginia Triple Crown along the Appalachian Trail in June with my sister my niece and a couple other friends. looking forward to it. We are going to do our first training hike Sunday. Been so cold here in NC since Christmas haven't been able to get out much.

• Like 1

still early in planning for the year, but so far: 1. Trip to Glacier and Waterton parks in late July and 2. trip to Tetons in september (as was snowed out last year).  Also contemplating a trip back to Mt Shuksan in Washington.

Lots and lots this year---as we are now retired! 

Death Valley, Joshua Tree, and Grand Canyon in the spring

Early summer is the parks in Utah

Later backpacking in the Sierra.  Should be a good year!

18 hours ago, John B said:

still early in planning for the year, but so far: 1. Trip to Glacier and Waterton parks in late July and 2. trip to Tetons in september (as was snowed out last year).  Also contemplating a trip back to Mt Shuksan in Washington.

This sounds like a great trip. Glacier is amazing and full of places to hike. I haven't had a chance to visit the Tetons but it's on my list and I'd love to do the Wind River High Route.

I hope to get out for two nights of winter camping next month, either in Kananaskis country or Banff Ntl Park. For the summer, I want to do my first random camping trip, planning to follow the Alexandra River in Banff Park and then in September I'm going to hike into Lake Magog in Mount Assiniboine Park with friends. And if possible, get down to Waterton Park to see how badly it was burned last fall.

Not sure yet about early summer.  Probably just car camping near water here in Michigan in June.  August trip planned with wife and 6 year old daughter to Utah.  Day hikes there.  Then planning to do the Wonderland Trail in early September.  Can't wait for that.

Going to do franconia ridge traverse in new hampshire and upto acadia national park in maine. Will also heD down to the smokey mountains in nc this summer. 

• Premium Member

Going for a few days to southwest Colorado in July - 3 days on part of the Colorado Trail near Silverton, plus a couple of day hikes. Should be wildflowers galore!

• 3 weeks later...
Lyfe_Elevated

Planning a trip in early June to Grand Staircase.  Going to hike Calf Creek Falls, the Golden Cathedral,  and Spooky Gulch/Peekaboo Gulch in Staircase. Then  headed to The Grand Canyon by way of Vegas and the Hoover Dam.  Not sure where we are going to hike at the Grand Canyon yet.  We will be on the western rim.