Issue 48 has been released! Download your own high definition copy with a TrailGroove Premium Subscription and Membership or read online here.

Warmth in Fall/Winter Hikes

Hunkering Dixie

Hunkering Dixie

Hi everyone!!

I have recently caught the hiking bug after a few years of anxiety related inactivity. Quite out of shape now but that's another story.

My question is what kind of fabrics are good for winter hiking? I still get really sweaty, especially when the hike is complete and I'm back in relax mode. Last night I ended up with a chill for a few hours even under a blanket.

I had on a light rainjacket, synthetic tank and yoga pants with thin nylon pants over top. It was cool, no rain, and I felt fine til towards the end.

I hope I make sense lol!! I dont want to discourage myself just because its winter and I get uncomfortable :(

Edited by Hunkering Dixie
Typos
  • Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Seems like the rain jacket would be the most likely culprit based on the clothing setup you described. Even though most hiking oriented rain jackets claim to be waterproof and breathable, they still aren't very breathable. Perhaps if it's not raining continuously a wind shirt, which is more breathable might be worth a try:

https://www.trailgroove.com/blogs/entry/119-hiking-wind-shirts-and-the-patagonia-houdini/

For hiking in cold conditions I like to have everything setup in layers and most of those layers can be vented as well: the windshirt can be adjusted utilizing the zipper (or by taking it off completely), along with things like zip neck mid weight baselayers, even pants with side zips etc.

By fine tuning the level of warmth while hiking I can keep myself warm enough without breaking into a sweat (which will then leave you chilled).

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Hopefully that helps. Let us know how it goes!

• Like 1