DWR Waterproofing--Anyone Use Granger's?

SPAC3MAN

Rick-Pittsburgh

I have been juggling the question as to whether or not one could make a non-water repellent jacket water repellent.

Short answer is I think so to an extent but here in lies the problem.

Even if you make the jacket water repellent it will in fact eventually wet out. Keep in mind "water repellent" & "waterproof" are 2 different characteristics. My soft shells are water repellent. After prolonged exposure to precipitation they do in fact wet out. That is where my hard shells come into play. They have a much higher hh rating(column testing) and are designed to fend off the wet stuff to a greater degree.

If you notice companies typically utilize a membrane of some type(ie gtx, eVent) in their hardshells/waterproof garments.

This is to enhance the waterproof capabilities of the shell. Also another thought is the fact that these shells are seam taped.

Unless you tear out the liner of the garment you are trying to seal up and actually take a tube of seam grip or heat tape too it you would be pretty much wasting your time due to the fact that eventually water would find it's way into your garment through the stitch holes if nowhere else.

Jmo.

Edited by Rick-Pittsburgh

• 1 month later...

Of the three DWR's I've tried on various gear(Nikwax(Wash In and Spray on), Grangers(Wash in and Spray on) , and McNetts ReviveX(Spray on) I like the ReviveX the best because in my usage it lasts the longest and leaves no tacky residue. A few of my jackets I've re-DWRed over the yrs each time using a different one of these products each time on the same jacket and the ReviveX I like the best. "I have been juggling the question as to whether or not one could make a non-water repellent jacket water repellent." I think you can in some cases such as with some wind jackets/wind shirts but I suspect you are going to alter breathability as well. ???