Issue 50 has been released! Download your own high definition PDF copy with a TrailGroove Premium Subscription or read online in standard definition here.

Sweaty Hiker Getting Cold Quickly

Hi all! I'm a large man trying to increase my hikes and my fitness level. Currently, carrying a 40-pound pack, even in cold weather, gets me breathing heavily and sweating mightily. 

In a hike this past weekend, this created an issue when we arrived at camp in cold/snowy weather and I was immediately cold. I was wearing a polyester t-shirt with a polyester sweatshirt over top. I was wearing wool socks and fairly light hiking pants. 

1. What do you recommend wearing to stay warm when stopping during a cold hike? 

2. How do I get warm quickly when I get to camp and stop for the day?

Edited by TH

Hi TH.  Sweating in cold weather is something you want to avoid like the plague.  Can you travel at a slower pace?  Can you take more brief rest stops on uphills?   Just 10 seconds or so?  Can you find some easier country?

You may be able to lighten your pack somewhat, but for winter conditions you are not going that heavy.  Are you on snowshoes or skis, or just hiking?

If you can't avoid the sweating,  then you need to travel until you get to your destination for the day and change into some dry clothes.   I really like a down jacket for being in camp.  

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
a_gunslinger

Be certain you have a really good wicking base layer (not all created equal) and a wool or similar second layer to absorb some of that wicked moisture.  That way when you hit camp quickly remove the sweat absorbed second layer, and have replacement dry layer ready to go.  A really good wicking layer combined with an absorbent 2nd layer, should leave your skin fairly dry.  Im a sweater also.  I wear less layers at start because I heat up fast, then can have that absorbent 2nd layer (usually smartwool) in open air that helps it evap and dry.  I may start cold, but after a mile Im better.