Off Road Vehicles

Dove76

Michael aka Mac

Just a heads up,   there are hybrid automatics that may fit your bill.  These vehicles of a combo of auto and manual transmissions. One of the brand name car makers calls them Shiftronics. WHile in automatic transmission mode, with a press of a button and a push or pull of the stick shift, you will have manually switched gears to a higher or lower gear setting.

I have driven 2-3 different vehicles with this feature, and it is easier then a manual transmission ie no clutch.

• 1 month later...
On 2/22/2022 at 10:28 AM, Michael aka Mac said:

In your situation though, I would prefer to use either an Land Rover, or a Jeep Wrangler. No matter what truck or SUV you buy, have a winch installed. Winches come in very handy when you get stuck in the snow or mud, amongst other tasks that require some pulling of weight. The advantage with the Jeep is the removeable doors and roof, as sometimes when you get badly stuck you need to start reducing your vehicles weight . If price was not an issue I would throw the Hummer H1 into the pile. A Nissan Xterra would also work.

One of the deciding factors though will be how heavy your trailer is. 

Ahh, Jeep and Land Rover.  The most problem plagued brands out there.  This coming from a person who has been into Jeeps for most of my 77 years.  My wife and I bought a new 2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited and with a slight lift, 35" tires, and a whole lot of armor on the bottom, it is pretty capable off road.  That said, it is absolutely gutless with insufficient low end torque to work well off road with the stock 4.10 gears and the NSG (No Significant Gear) 370 6 speed manual.  It barely has enough power to get its self down the road let alone a trailer.  And it gets abysmal mileage.  Add to that an incessant problem with the wiring, power steering that just quits in the rocks and a long list of other annoying attributes.  It is the only vehicle, out of about 40 I've owned that has been tagged with a moniker.  POS

Depending on the trail width, I would be looking at a 4x4 full size pickup for this and for myself, that would be a Ford or GM.  I want nothing to do with anything fiat had a hand in.

Need a really decent off road machine?  You are likely going to need to build it.

IMG_4019.JPG

IMG_4015.JPG

Edited by grizzled
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Michael aka Mac

Please for the love of God,   put that truck in your will for me,  I am in love...

• 2 months later...

I finally got my 4WD yesterday!! 2009 Jeep Wrangler! 84,000 miles. Excellent shape. All I have to do is add the tow package. We are taking it to the beach to this weekend to try out the 4WD.  Next take it to a park and have more access to many more hiking trails!! 

That is one awesome truck!!!

Michael aka Mac

Congrats Dove.

If bringing your truck to the beach remember to bring a portable air tire inflator and take out some of the air in your tires for better traction so you don't get stuck.  

My next door neighbor, ironically a college Math professor, sometimes goes to the beach with a case of beer and a tow package to pull out those stuck on the beech for a price.  He said even trucks & SUVs have been stuck in the sand due to not having tires slightly deflated. The beer is so he has something to do while he waits for people to get stuck...