whats your backpacking luxury item?

hutchie

Lunar_Herbalist
21 hours ago, jay said:

My personal luxury item is good coffee.  It might not sound like much of a luxury but a relaxing cup of high quality coffee brewed over a fire puts me in my Happy Place.

Yeah, I feel you on this.  A chilly morning and a warm cup of coffee are some of my favorite parts of the woods.

• Like 1

That's it exactly, LH.  Something about the combination of the aroma and taste of good strong coffee and the smell of wood smoke is the perfect combination to put me in a good frame of mind, under pretty much any circumstance. 

Real food for real people.  I rarely eat anything that comes in a foil pouch. 

Last night I was truck camping and made stacked enchiladas in a Dutch Oven. 

• 7 months later...

I'm closing in on 60, so comfort is important. I bring a sleeping pad, pillow and a helinox. Plus an ipod. And there's nothing better at the end of a long day's hike than a 'special' brownie. I typically will sacrifice weight for comfort at this point, and just work out more in advance of a trip to get strong enough to carry it. 

I'm guessing you don't take the Dutch Over backpacking, Ppine. 

I'll cop to a NeoAir mattress as my main sop to comfort.  And on short trips, 2-3 days, I might take along heavier food or even some wine (decanted into a plastic bottle!).  But on longer backpacking trips, weight overrules all other considerations.  I'm just old to carry 45 pounds for a week.  Or even a few days!  We do dehydrate some of our own food, but it still isn't what my wife, a professional chef, can cook up at home.