Issue 42 has been released! Download your own high definition PDF copy with a Premium Membership or read online here.

hutchie

whats your backpacking luxury item?

Lunar_Herbalist
21 hours ago, jay said:

My personal luxury item is good coffee.  It might not sound like much of a luxury but a relaxing cup of high quality coffee brewed over a fire puts me in my Happy Place.

Yeah, I feel you on this.  A chilly morning and a warm cup of coffee are some of my favorite parts of the woods.

• Like 1

jay

That's it exactly, LH.  Something about the combination of the aroma and taste of good strong coffee and the smell of wood smoke is the perfect combination to put me in a good frame of mind, under pretty much any circumstance. 

ppine

Real food for real people.  I rarely eat anything that comes in a foil pouch. 

Last night I was truck camping and made stacked enchiladas in a Dutch Oven. 

BuddhaTim

I'm closing in on 60, so comfort is important. I bring a sleeping pad, pillow and a helinox. Plus an ipod. And there's nothing better at the end of a long day's hike than a 'special' brownie. I typically will sacrifice weight for comfort at this point, and just work out more in advance of a trip to get strong enough to carry it. 

ppine

A Helinox chair, 

Crocs for the feet. 

Decent food. 

balzaccom

I'm guessing you don't take the Dutch Over backpacking, Ppine. 

I'll cop to a NeoAir mattress as my main sop to comfort.  And on short trips, 2-3 days, I might take along heavier food or even some wine (decanted into a plastic bottle!).  But on longer backpacking trips, weight overrules all other considerations.  I'm just old to carry 45 pounds for a week.  Or even a few days!  We do dehydrate some of our own food, but it still isn't what my wife, a professional chef, can cook up at home.