Backpacking & Hiking in Hot Weather - Tips and a How-to

Aaron Zagrodnick

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

In an ideal world that seems to only exist in outdoor gear catalogs, all our backpacking would take place in temperatures that are 65F during the day. Our nights would be a cool and crisp 45F or so. A few delightful sprinkles of rain would occur to add some atmosphere and perhaps a change of scenery to delight photographers. Otherwise there would be perpetually sunny skies with only a few clouds. Clouds to form interesting shapes...

@PaulMags shares his tips on hiking and backpacking in hot weather - take a look below in Issue 28:

Hot Weather Backpacking – Not too Hot to Handle

Hiking and Backpacking in Hot Weather.jpg

Issue 28 Page 1

• Like 1

Great advice Mags.  Especially liked how you detailed the difference between hot and humid versus dry and humid.  Living in Ohio, we get the hot and humid variety.  It is unbearable to wear long pants and long sleeves in the summer.

I grew up in New England. I remember the hot and muggy weather all too well. Gets rather hot in the summer there..surprisingly for people not familiar with it. 

• 2 weeks later...

One of the keys to enjoying the outdoors is to be at the right place at the right time. If it is hot, gain some elevation.

Or if you live near the Pacific try some coastal hikes. It can be actually quite cool, especially in the Nothwest coastal areas. I've been to the Oregon coast in August and was greeted with temps in the 60s  on occasion. Or, as mentioned by ppine, get high (by that I  mean elevation, of course!). The years I  spent living in the Sierras at 6200' was wonderful for hiking. I've also lived in Ohio and also spent a lot of time in New England. Beautiful but hot unless you're talking spring or fall.

In the winter, I like Death Valley.

Yesterday at 8,500 feet a long sleeve shirt felt good.