Gift the Groove by giving a Premium Subscription this holiday season with a TrailGroove Gift Card! E-Delivery or print and gift in person.

Aaron

Trees and Campsites

Aaron

While one classic backpacking photograph might depict a brightly colored tent set in a meadow with a lakeside and mountain view, considerations in regards to tree cover are worth considering when selecting a campsite for the night. Often, trees can provide impressive cover from rain and snow, block the wind, and will be warmer and dryer in regards to condensation overnight than camping in a more classic clearing – but there can be pros and cons. With their capability of keeping off the rain or snow and blocking the wind, trees can also block that warming morning light, or even just the view of a sky full of stars...

Considerations on the best place to stay the night in regards to trees and forests, read below in Issue 31:

Trees and Campsites

Trees and Backpacking Campsite Selection for Weather and Warmth.JPG

Issue 31 Page 1

SoonerDad

One other consideration is the quality of the trees. My daughter and I set up our tent one afternoon in the Weminuche only to later realize that the large tree right behind the tent was almost rotted through on the far side. A strong wind that night could have had painful results. Happily I happened to walk around behind it and decided to move our tent somewhere safer

• Like 1

Aaron

Without a doubt something to avoid, if it looks sketchy at all I'll pass up even the otherwise best / most convenient spots...might take longer to get setup but at least that way I sleep better at night. :)

grizzled

RE: camping and trees.

I think the most important decision with regard to camping next to trees is an objective evaluation if those trees will be moving to the tent site in a strong wind.  That is especially true with all the beetle killed whitebark and lodgepole pine in the mix over most of the western US.  And a second factor with respect to pines is you can spend a lot of time with an alcohol swab cleaning the pitch off at certain times of the year.  Nothing like stuffing a pitch laden tent in a stuff bag---------

Edited by grizzled