Central Illinois

jds217

Hey from central Illinois! I'm a hiker, camper (tent), and caver (though haven't done as much of that in the past couple of years).

I'm always interested in finding interesting new places to hike in the Midwest, as well as the less-known, less-visited places for tent-camping.

I'm also the author of "The Best in Tent Camping: Illinois" published by Menasha Ridge Press in 2009.

Hello from Texas! Not sure if you are interested in Oklahoma, but the Wichita Mountains Wildlife area outside of Lawton OK is a nice place to hike.

Welcome from the Northwest suburbs of Chicago! Always good to see another midwesterner joining the group. I don't know if I have any more insight into hiking in the midwest than you do as you are a published author, but I can try - Mississippi Palisades is interesting. If you're from Central IL, then you probably already know about Starved Rock and Matthieson State Parks. Also good for backpacking are both of the Kettle Morraine units in Wisconsin, and Devil's Lake. At least Devil's Lake is good for training and it's part of the Ice Age Trail. In Indiana, Turkey Run and Shades State Parks both have exceptional hiking.