New Water Filtration System

ENO

Hello TG Blogosphere:

I am planning to hike the Colorado Trail this summer and am looking into purchasing a new water filtration system. Any suggestions on a good mircofilter, or a different type of system/product? The lighter the better.

Thanks,

ENO

I think Sawyer Minis are pretty solidly the go to filter these days as long as it doesn't have to go below freezing ... I have one but prefer tabs / chlorine dioxide personally ... so easy and light ... :)

I've seen and read some interesting reviews about a new microfilter out that's named Renovo Trio. It's supposed to filter out 0.05 microns of all the bad stuff. Their website prices it at $43.99 and the filter in the unit is good for 1000 liters. I think this is going to rival the Sawyer system...

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

I'm using the Sawyer 3 Way / SP122 (Reviewed Here in Issue 3) inline and in a gravity setup. I like it for the built in quick disconnects and the larger filter area compared to the Mini (Faster flow rate, less frequent backflushing) but I haven't tested this side by side. At just an ounce or two heavier the extra features make sense to me but at about $20 the Mini is a great deal. I like the features & specs of the Renovo, just wish they'd built in quick disconnects on both ends or had an add on solution available.

• 1 month later...

Hello TG Blogosphere:

I am planning to hike the Colorado Trail this summer and am looking into purchasing a new water filtration system. Any suggestions on a good mircofilter, or a different type of system/product? The lighter the better.

Thanks,

ENO

I carry the Sawyer Mini with chemical back-up. Well, and the ability to boil water, too!

• 3 weeks later...
Shaun Squid

I have the full sized Sawyer Squeeze love it. I bring a couple extra bags in case I hit some dry stretches of trail. Just fill them up, throw them in your pack, and filter if needed. Works great for larger groups.

• 1 month later...

I've seen and read some interesting reviews about a new microfilter out that's named Renovo Trio. It's supposed to filter out 0.05 microns of all the bad stuff. Their website prices it at $43.99 and the filter in the unit is good for 1000 liters. I think this is going to rival the Sawyer system...

I took both the Renovo and the Sawyer on a recent trip. Sawyer is faster and lighter; I reached for the Trio in more questionable water. Sawyer far outlasts the Renovo; the Renovo offers twice as fine filtration. I like having both in my gear choices.