Phones on the Trail - Do You Bring Yours?

Aaron Zagrodnick

How Often Do You Bring Your Phone While Backpacking & Hiking?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. How Often Do You Bring Your Phone While Backpacking & Hiking?

• Always
    • Most of the Time
    • 50/50
    • Not Very Often
    • Never

• 2 months later...
coastwatcher42

I always bring my phone because I am very safety conscious. I have several health issues and do the majority of my backcountry travel alone. If an emergency occurs, I want to be able to get help ASAP. I go one step further than just carrying a cell phone, though, I also carry a Iridium sat phone.

• 1 month later...

I absolutely take my cell phone - it serves as my camera, alarm clock, and watch.  And, if I'm hiking in an area with service I can upload pics for my friends and family to see.

• Like 1

I usually bring my phone, but it is for the Gaia maps app and to sometimes watch a movie on at night. I've yet to ever get a cell signal though so I bring either a SPOT or a PLB in case an emergency comes up.

Jarrett.Morgan

I've always got my cell phone on trips, but I've never used it once I left the car. It's knowing I could probably call for help if I needed it.  However, I just upgraded to a S6 and the camera is nice.  So I will probably use it as my camera and leave it in airplane mode.

Never.  I leave it in the car at the trailhead, along with all my keys except the one that opens the car.  It weighs too much to take it along for fun, there is no reception at the trailhead, let alone in the High Sierra, I don't need an alarm clock or a watch that weighs more than my little camera.  And I have a perfectly good little camera. 

I live on my phone for work.  When I go backpacking, I leave it, and work, far behind.  That's the point.   

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

I usually bring my phone, but it is for the Gaia maps app and to sometimes watch a movie on at night. I've yet to ever get a cell signal though so I bring either a SPOT or a PLB in case an emergency comes up.

I loaded up a season of a favorite show for my last trip and was glad I did - I think I'll be using the video aspect a bit more in the future. I was surprised that 30 minutes of watching uses only about 5% of my phone's battery, so just leaving the trailhead with a full charge is fine for most trips. I don't fall asleep at sunset - while I could stare at a campfire for hours that happens almost never and I'm almost always in my bag at dark. Especially good for solo trips and when the season deals shorter days.

Never.  I leave it in the car at the trailhead, along with all my keys except the one that opens the car.  It weighs too much to take it along for fun, there is no reception at the trailhead, let alone in the High Sierra, I don't need an alarm clock or a watch that weighs more than my little camera.  And I have a perfectly good little camera. 

I live on my phone for work.  When I go backpacking, I leave it, and work, far behind.  That's the point.   

I use my phone for work as well, but luckily at least in my case, I've been able to disconnect from that aspect when it comes along and I'm able to utilize it more like a multitool. Rarely do I get service, but at night there is always that temptation just to check for fun. (Getting that no service message is a badge of honor of sorts for me) Although, if somehow I do get a good signal I definitely have gone back to "work mode" without even really thinking about it. So it's a risk... but I almost never do have service so it's rarely a problem! Alright, that and the fact that even if a bar or two does appear I like my job. :)

50/50. I have a inexpensive Tracfone for hikes. I'm currently into the second wk of a 3 wk hike and have only turned it on  twice.