Trail Tip 21: The 10 Essentials

Aaron Zagrodnick

Brandon_0384

I'm sure most people carry a watch no matter where they go.  Does anyone carry an analog watch and use the sun to navigate in a worst case scenario?

I'm another person that rarely carries a compass.  Paper map and GPS yes.  This is one place some homework with Google Earth and Caltopo can pay back a big dividend in many ways, especially if off-trail.  It takes almost all the guess work out of heading into new territory.

I do disagree with Ted's take on multitools.  Whether first aid or a tent repair, we have always carried a small scissors of some sort and the need for a small screwdriver to repair glasses has occurred on several occasions.  I find the Leatherman Squirt PS4 fits the bill near perfectly and lives up to its multitool moniker in a big way.  And at 1.9 oz, it isn't all that heavy.

And if you are in grizzly country, I would at least add a can of bear spray to the list.

I did invest in an ACR unit a couple months back.  Maybe just my nod to geezerism.

Cajunhiker

A compass is just insurance. It's there if you need it. And if you like to explore like I do, you will need it. Among my 10 essentials is TP, cause when you gotta go, you gotta go. 

• Like 2

A compass is just insurance. It's there if you need it. And if you like to explore like I do, you will need it. Among my 10 essentials is TP, cause when you gotta go, you gotta go. 

I like your thoughts on TP.  Excellent trail philosophy, which I happen to share!

Just where would western civilization be without TP?

Gary M

Edited by Gary M
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Oooh..fancy compasses and watches lol

I wish I could afford these things, and one day they might even become essential to get where I want to go. For now..I have a hard time getting lost. I live so close to my hiking grounds which is very close to the coast..I almost never need a compass or watch. I've been using the sun for years when trekking in my area. I don't like to bring my phone either even tho its hard to not need it eventually (same with keys)

In different cases..even a fire starter or flint device becomes useless if park rules prevents wood/tinder fires. I'm more likely gonna take extra precautions to keep my one lighter dry rather than force a spark to ignite my camping stove. 

Weather also will dictate what is really essential.  In my case..the weather is more likely to be hot and dry with lows barely skimming 34 degrees, so when weather is really good (most times) there's not even a need for a tent if you have the right clothing. 

I know I'm not being very clear as to what 10 things I would pick, but that's just me putting my spin on this topic. 

For some, and in some parts of the world, water is more readily available and free of bacteria and such.. but where I generally get my water in the wilderness is more likely to be filthy in 100 places. So water filtration becomes a serious art of staying ahead of dehydration. 

We have no predators to harm us here either. We have mountain lions but they have never been known to attack a human in this area..chances being to never actually see one in person. But i sometimes practice tracking their paw prints.. fun times! Point is there is no real practical means for defense against wild animals, so large knives or guns are not essential at all. Everyone should have some kind of means for patching cuts and blisters even if it's just a small first aid kit. I like to micro size all my essentials. I don't carry a whistle ever..but if I had a team with me it would be essential for everyone to carry one. 

Glasses are essential.. my eyes are sensitive to light. A headlamp is always essential but extra batteries are not always needed if you start off with freshies and use it sparingly. 

I don't personally need bug repellent even tho it works well. I havent met a bug yet that could ruin my time outdoors. I don't use sunscreen..perhaps essential for others but not my skin.

I need to move some place that presents more challenges.. that way I have more need for the basic essentials. Haha! For now my biggest concern is heat and dehydration ..essentially ;)

And that's my 2 pennies!