Where should I go for a 3 week hike?

mishy

Absarokanaut

Thanks for the advertising Isleroyaleguy. We love all our tourists, you're a lot better looking than gas or oil wells.

Greater Yellowstone is some 19,000,000 acres. Of that less than 3,000,000 are in the parks and require permits for overnight hiking. I love the Teton Crest and it can be crowded, but as I've heard a JMT Veteran say the Crest is also among the best. Yellowstone is bigger, generally more hill country with incredible watercourses, meadows, some canyons, many areas sometimes full of wildlife.

I"f you do Northwest Wyoming I'd think about one or two classics; the Teton Crest or the Bechler with Boundary Creek and Dunanda Falls. Each of those is four nights fairly comfortably, more if you like to linger in truly magnificent places.

post-1084-143508725563_thumb.jpg

Then there are the glorious acres outside our parks where many of us could suggest tremendous 2 or 3 week treks. You could traverse the 48s remotest points. You could off trail endlessly pleasant and spectacular plateaus in my favorite area of the earth, the Southern Absaroka.

post-1084-143508725612_thumb.jpg

And of course we have the Wind Rivers. I'll leave them to someone else. Happy to help you if I've sparked real interest.

Whether beach or butte have a wonderful trip.

post-1084-143508725557_thumb.jpg

post-1084-143508725569_thumb.jpg

post-1084-143508725578_thumb.jpg

post-1084-143508725592_thumb.jpg

post-1084-143508725605_thumb.jpg

I think everybody wishes they could spend 3 weeks in their favorite places. I know I could spend 3 glorious weeks in my local wilderness that I've visited dozens of times and see all the places I've been meaning to get to for years. 3 weeks sounds like enough time to learn to be yourself again and get really attuned to the land. I'm taking my first 3 week trip this summer and really looking forward to it.

presidentials in the white mountains would be good. there are some good loop hikes, and small towns to hike out to for resupply. AND they have full service huts, where you can sleep and get a full breakfast/dinner, if you are into that.

Another option is the green mountains in vermont. take the long trail, and do Mt Mansfield. You can go as far north south as you want.

Another option is to go upstate maine and go to baxter state park.

My suggestion would be to head to Wyoming. Hiking possibilities are endless, with plenty of solitude if you want. A lot of places don't require permits, the only thing I can see that would be an issue is that in June you might run into winter like conditions in the high country.

Just a thought.

Wyoming or Montana, you don't usually get too far into the mountains in June unless you are still on skis. This year may be a bit of an exception as snowpacks are highly variable in the Northern Rockies. Some places in NW MT have essentially melted out already. SW MT snowpack is about 50% of normal. My wife and I did a recon run to the Tobacco Roots last Tuesday and while still plenty of snow above about 7500 to 8000 ft, not too much below that. Suspect it will all be open in a couple more weeks.

Where would I be looking to spend 3 weeks in scenic mountains with fantastic views? Wind's or the Beartooth's. Scenery is hard to beat and not very many people, especially once off-trail. I've done quite a few Beartooth trips where we didn't see another person for several days in a row. No permits needed for either that I am aware of.

Absarokanaut

We have had a lot of rain and some mountain snow but I didn't step on a flake of snow yesterday getting up on the Southeastern Crest of the granite Hi-Line:

post-1084-143508725676_thumb.jpg