Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo 2 Person Tent Article

Aaron Zagrodnick

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Long-term testing of the Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo and evaluating the 2012 changes for this popular lightweight 2 person tent / shelter. Read the full review below in Issue #3:

Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo 2 Person Tent Article

Issue #3 Page 1

Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo Review - Republished on the TrailGroove Blog

• 4 years later...
Outdoorsman0827

Hey Aaron, I have one comment about the review you did on the Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo 2-person tent.  If you are going to spend $200-$300 for a backpacking tent, the company should be able to include poles, used to prop up the tent, and stakes, used for holding down the tent, in the price.   I consider that a red flag with the manufacturer.  Now, by buying these items separately, the cost of the tent went up by $30 or more.  I just thought I would give you some honest feedback.  Other than that, I love the articles you folks have been producing!  Keep them coming!

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Thanks for checking out the review and glad you're finding some good reading! Agreed on the stakes...I'd say generally the target market for this tent has a good chance of using trekking poles, and thus those can be utilized in place of the optional tent poles to save weight,  and may already have a stake collection going...or at least perhaps that's the idea!

Personally for two person trips with the Lunar Duo at least one of us has always had trekking poles, but I have taken this tent on solo trips where I haven't carried them and thus, did have to purchase the additional poles. Trekking poles are ideal though, while the optional poles were workable, trekking poles are much stronger and allow for a better pitch.

I bought a couple of Six Moon Design tents BECAUSE they didn't have poles and used my trekking poles. I ordered optional stakes from SMD with my first tent, but didn't need them with the second so I was glad I wasn't paying for them.

I usually throw away the stakes that come with tents because most of the time they are junk.

• Aaron Zagrodnick changed the title to Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo 2 Person Tent Article