Reviews: REI Flash 18 Backpack & Trail Designs Ti-Tri Sidewinder Stove

Aaron Zagrodnick

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Here are the direct links to our gear reviews from the current issue, follow the links below for the full reviews:

REI Flash 18 Review

With a market full of competitors, choosing the right daypack for your needs can be a difficult task. In this review, we’ll evaluate the features and performance of the smallest pack in the popular REI Flash series - The Flash 18. (18 = 18 liters / 1100 cubic inches). In a sea of competing daypacks we felt this was one pack that has managed to stand out for the past few years – First due to an attractive current price of about $35. However, with an attractive price we of course always have our concerns - Sometimes in the backpacking world budget priced gear can often result in a solution much heavier than competing products and lacking in features that you may find yourself longing for down the road...

Trail Designs Ti-Tri Sidewinder Review

Coming from a standard Caldera Cone system we were immediately impressed with the Sidewinder system upon arrival from an aesthetic standpoint. The cone must be made of titanium in order to support the heat from wood fires, and the material has a much more refined look and feel than the aluminum composition of the original Caldera Cone. When rolled for storage, the titanium cone is quite resilient and resists kinking extremely well, whereas care is required with the original aluminum cone to prevent this. By switching to titanium, you’ll also save half an ounce on the cone itself compared to the original cone for the 1.3L, and because you can store the cone within the pot, you’ll save another 2.35oz by leaving the caddy supplied with the original system behind..

Issue 1 Page 1

Let us know what you think!

Thanks,

Aaron

REI Flash 18 Review

Trail Designs Ti-Tri Review

• 5 months later...

Love the Flash 18! It's a great little pack and you can cram an amazing amount into it. I also added shock cord to the pack to really extend it's carrying capability. I think I purchased it with a mistaken price. I was on REI one day and it was on sale for $9.50 so I scooped it up. Next day it was back to $34 but I received it for the $9.50 price. At that cost it cannot be beat!

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Definitely agree regarding the usefulness of the Flash 18, it actually worked out perfectly on a hike just today. :D Great deal at the $9.50 price point that you were able to pick yours up at!

Hey Aaron, I finally got to take my Sidewinder system out for actual trail time (as opposed to just around home time) and it was sweet! I used it in wood mode for my dinners and Esbit for breakfast...and it jsut worked so sweet! The wood fires was fun, and I was really impressed with the Esbit mode (I have tried it out at home, but at home is not quite like in the field...)

I carried this 1.3L cookpot with the entire Calder Cone system, including the entire Inferno system, for just me... All of this together weighed 10 oz (as opposed to my entire kitchen set that weighed less than 3 oz I used on the trip before) and I loved it enough to know that I will take this thing again...at least on trips that I won't be hiking from before sun up to sun down...

Although, at 1.3L, it makes a great 2 person cook kit, so I will definitely be carrying it with me on me and my wifes upcoming trip to the Roan Highlands in VA next month...just hope I can find some wood to use on top of those balds... :)

It is a great system man, and I really love it! Thanks again for hosting the giveaway... this has been the best prize that I have ever won, hands down... :)

Here are some pics...

post-57-14350871337_thumb.jpg

post-57-143508713376_thumb.jpg

post-57-143508713382_thumb.jpg

post-57-143508713388_thumb.jpg

post-57-143508713392_thumb.jpg

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Hey Stick - No problem and glad to hear that the system has been working out well! The Sidewinder or ULC is pretty much our go-to system for nearly any trip. :)