Where is everyone planning to go this year?

jay

As always I'm going to hit up my local trails on Monte Sano here in Alabama. However, Ive been wearing those out the last few years so I'm going to branch out this year and try out Pinhoti, Savage Gulf, Firey Gizzard and maybe something in North Carolina or Virginia. 

sounds like good trips.

Am currently putting together my northern England trip,  Judging from what my friends over there are saying though, I might need scuba gear instead of a backpack, due to all the flooding :)

Aside from a long planned trip to spend a week hiking at Glacier Natl park, I have added a short backpack trip to see Thousand Island Lake out of Mammoth/Agnew Meadows after Labor Day.  I originally planned it for a long dayhike (15 ish miles RT) but thought the logistics of getting the hike done within the hours the shuttle runs added some stress.. and who needs that.

I have plans to spend a week making a loop through the north unit of Theodore Roosevelt National Park (Buckhorn Trail and Caprock Coulee Trail), Wind Cave National Park, and Badlands National Park (Castle/Medicine Root loop) backpacking and camping in each park. I also have a couple of Iowa trips planned for Yellow River State Forest and Stephens State Forest in the Woodburn unit.

A few days in Feb hiking Guadalupe Mtn NP in Texas. 

Then an 8-day walking tour in May of the Dingle Peninsula in Ireland with my wife, slack packing from one B&B and pub to another.

Then (I hope), Walker Pass to Mt Lassen on the PCT.  My brother and I started this hike in 1976.  I tore a cartilage in my knee the second day and bailed out at Kearsarge Pass - postholing down Forrester did me in.  It's taken me 40 years to get back.

The Long Trail in Vermont in the fall, if I have not used up all my passes at home.

And of course several shorter trips in CO, both with my friends and leading Sierra Club ICO trips.

It's nice to have no regular employment any more...jobs definitely impinge on hiking and fishing, they are the worst.

On February 2, 2016 at 2:02 PM, HappyHour said:

It's nice to have no regular employment any more...jobs definitely impinge on hiking and fishing, they are the worst.

Too right.  I am a firm believer in the old axiom, "A bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work."

• 1 month later...
Absarokanaut

Although many in the Equality State will tell you Teton County isn't part of Wyoming it's at least right next to it. Like Aaron I'm fortunate to be in northwestern Wyoming. I love the SW Absaroka more than anywhere else but go to the Gros Ventre, Salt River, Tetons, etc. This August I hope to get back to the Bechler for a long weekend.

Have a great time in the Whites Mags.

Whites Pemi from Lafayette.jpg

I'm planning on backpacking a section of the AT with my Troop/Crew in June.  Starting in Damascus, VA, hiking northeast for approximately 60 miles, and whitewater rafting on the New River afterwards.  Can't wait - I'm getting to backpack with my son after not being able to (because he's been working at Philmont the past 3 years).  So very excited!  :D

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HikerJen said:

I'm planning on backpacking a section of the AT with my Troop/Crew in June.  Starting in Damascus, VA, hiking northeast for approximately 60 miles, and whitewater rafting on the New River afterwards.  Can't wait - I'm getting to backpack with my son after not being able to (because he's been working at Philmont the past 3 years).  So very excited!  :D

Very cool that your son has worked at Philmont for 3 years, what an experience!

13 hours ago, Gary M said:

Very cool that your son has worked at Philmont for 3 years, what an experience!

I know - I'm so proud of him and glad that he chose to spend his summers working with other kids and teaching them outdoor and LNT skills.  Now, he's coming back to lead our Scouts/Venturers on a high adventure trip this summer and I'll be able to hike with him again.  it's going to be great!