September / October Issue Released

Aaron Zagrodnick

Outdoorsman0827

Aaron, I just finished reading Issue #4 and the content and photography is incredible as always!!  I really like the photo tip that was mentioned by David Cobb.  The fact that the tip he shared was simple in nature and easy to follow, makes it less intimidating for those of us who don't have professional cameras.  A lot of times photography articles in Backpacker Magazine will mention the F-stop, the shutter speed, the use of filters (especially polarizing ones) and that is a bit hard to follow if you have a point-and-shoot.  I am not necessarily looking to spend $500 on a manual-focus camera and the hundreds of dollars it will cost to take photography lessons.  I'm just looking to take better photos with the camera I have now.  This tip will definitely help me when I start shooting landscapes and horizons.  Thanks again!

Jason-Michael, The Outdoorsman

Outdoorsman0827

One other thing I forgot to mention: I just read the Backcountry Cuisine article for issue #4 - Campfire Hashbrowns, and in the article, they tell you to cook the potatoes in tin foil.  I recently heard a news article on TV that said cooking with aluminum foil is very bad for your health.  When you cook food in it, small pieces of the metal foil are released (from the heat) into the food and thus, you end up eating the metal foil pieces.  I think the report said it could lead to neurological disorders like Alzheimer's and also have kidney problems.  So what would be a healthier solution to using aluminum/tin foil??

Jason-Michael, The Outdoorsman

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Hey Outdoorsman, glad you had a chance to catch up on Issue 4 and great to hear that you found the photo tip relatable and helpful. On the recipe, performance wise it's probably hard to beat aluminum foil for that purpose honestly, and I've heard of some people utilizing parchment paper as a liner in regards to this concern, but you could also without a doubt try it in something like a titanium pot either on very low coals or over a stove on low with a lot about of stirring for instance. :) 

• Like 1