Favorite Outdoors Books

Korey

Call me crazy but I believe Jack London totally nailed it in White Fang - to date one of my favorite books. The vivid details and imagery really made me feel as though I was amongst the pack when I read it. Great choices though!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Korey said:

If anyone is interested I did a short write up/review of Eric Blehm's The Last Season and some thoughts the book prompted about humility and control in the backcountry on my blog:

Because It's There - The Last Season

Nice review. I've seen the book mentioned before but after reading your review I 'll have to pickup a copy. Thanks.

So I just finished Into The Wild and it tore my heart out, but I've been eyeing Badluck Way by Bryce Andrews for awhile and was wondering if anyone has read it/ would recommend it? 

I went to our Friends of the Library bookstore and bought every tale on mountain climbing horror stories. Read Death in Yosemite.   Fascinating reads. Also enjoyed Shattered Air.  All on the dark side.  I agree on The Last Season as being a really good read.

Just started reading Dances with Marmots by George Spearing about PCT thru hike. Normally I don't like thru hike books since they are all about the same plus I've never had an interest in doing one

This is a bit different. About a New Zealander who does the PCT. Refreshing viewpoints on the PCT and American culture and history with a good dose of humor.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

I have a lot, but after a quick look at the bookshelf Desert Solitaire and the page turning action of The Monkey Wrench Gang, both of course by Edward Abbey are a couple favorites. Walden...haven't read it in a while but it will always occupy a spot on the shelf...and when I was younger many Louis L'Amour novels (which at least include a substantial dose of the outdoors) occupied my time. More recently, I also thought @Disco's I Hike was a great read. 

So far there has been no mention of the classic outdoor writers like Sig Olsen, Olaf Murie, Calvin Rutstrum, Townsend Whelen, Bradford Angier, Jack O'Connor, Nessmuk, HD Thoreau, RW Emerson, John Burroughs, John Muir, and Joe Back,  I really like Colin fletcher's writing. He taught a lot of people to slow down and really look at the landscape.