Favorite Outdoors Books

Korey

I was a bit disappointed with A Walk in the Woods movie but I still enjoyed it. Of course I  enjoy just about any movie that has something to do with hiking or backpacking . I've always been a Robert Redford fan so that was a big plus. Hopefully the movies Wild and Walk in the Woods will set a trend for similar movies.

Edited by lonerock
Wording
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Outdoorsmom76

Wild by Cheryl Strayed is an excellent book.  The book deals more with her personal battles, the movie focused more on the hike itself.  I barely put the book down, except for a few chapters that really hit me emotionally and I had to stop and take a break for a day. 

• Like 1

The modern stories are very mainstream and laden with angst.  Colin Fletcher is a lot more interesting for backpackers.

10 hours ago, ppine said:

The modern stories are very mainstream and laden with angst.  Colin Fletcher is a lot more interesting for backpackers.

I agree that the books by Colin Fletcher are more interesting than many of the more current selections. He was a pioneer and viewed by many as the father of modern day backpacking. His books, including the Complete Walker series, sparked a major interest in backpacking back in the 60's that continues today.

It looks like Colin's epic biography titled Walking Man by Robert Wehrman may come out sometime in June with a preorder on Amazon before that date. I'm really looking forwad to it !

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hiking Through by Paul Stutzman. I bought this book on Amazon thinking It was just going to be about a guy hiking the AT. But the underlying story blew me away.  I honestly could not put this book down. Not to sound too corny, but this book actually changed something in me. 

Ed Abbey has to be hands down one of my favorites. He saw the landscape, valued it, but still lived in the real world as we all do. Dolores LaChappelle is another great one as well, Deep Powder Snow being the work I know her by.

• 2 months later...

I did a book review on Into the Wild with my thoughts about McCandless in comparison to a figure like John Muir and whether their really is a difference (other than a more abrasive personality perhaps).

• 4 months later...

South! by Ernest Shackleton

Lure of the Labrador Wild by Dillon Wallace

Almost anything pre 1990 from Patrick McManus