Solo hiking wth a personal locator beacon ?

lonerock

Game Warden

I like the idea that no one knows where I am, no one can find me, which is a rare thing in the 21st century. I'll take the risks, such as they are. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's a high time to take a look at PLB if you risk going into the backcountry, especially in extreme weather conditions, isolated regions, or rugged terrain (dicey footing, river crossings, bear-countries), and you do so regularly. If not  - there is no necessity.

I used to subscribe to a magazine, I think it was called Packbacker or something similar. I soon noticed that every issue had three messages:

First, hiking is dangerous: hikers were always falling down cliffs, swept away by floods, struck by lightening, eaten by bears, etc.

Second, hiking is expensive. Every piece of equipment you need costs at least $300.

Third, there is no way to DIY for gear, food, etc.

Very frightening.

The AT runs through my patrol area. I've helped out hikers who were having  a bad day; and also helped carry few dead bodies and skeletons out of the woods. A PLB would have helped none of those people. The first and most catastrophic equipment failure or error occurs between your ears.

It's just walking. It's not dangerous. Adventure is the fruit of incompetence.

Edited by Game Warden
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/15/2017 at 9:36 PM, Game Warden said:

I've helped out hikers who were having  a bad day; and also helped carry few dead bodies and skeletons out of the woods. A PLB would have helped none of those people. The first and most catastrophic equipment failure or error occurs between your ears.

Lots of people solo hike. A bad fall or a medical emergency occurs, what do you suggest they do? Wait possibly several days for help to arrive (if ever)? 

Edited by PaulGS

In my experience, lost, injured or dead hikers, hunters, spelunkers, boaters, etc, are found because another human being notices they are missing: they didn't call or arrive home when expected, didn't pick up their staged mail or shuttle ride , didn't catch up with their trail buddies, etc. They just disappeared. Therefore, the best safety system is to let someone know where you will be and check in regularly. Once the SAR system, with all its clumsiness and inefficiencies, is alerted, you'll probably be found in few hours. The goal is to shrink the time between "I wonder where Southbound Sam is?" and calling 911. That's the critical gap.

Re a PLB beacon: most, if not all of the people involved in your rescue will be volunteer firefighters and state troopers. They know a lot about structure fires and speeding. They probably don't know what a PLB is. You're lucky if a forest ranger or game warden is looking for you.

Have you ever heard a car alarm sounding? When you heard it, did you call 911?

Of course I speak only from my experience along the AT in PA. 

Also, google the term "bastard search." 

If you want a PLB, go for it. Hike your own hike!

Edited by Game Warden

Therefore, the best safety system is to let someone know where you will be and check in regularly.

I guess it comes down to a difference in where one is hiking. There is no way to check in when I'm out hiking as cell coverage is non-existent most of the time. 

Re a PLB beacon: most, if not all of the people involved in your rescue will be volunteer firefighters and state troopers. . . . They probably don't know what a PLB is.

True, they probably don't know what a PLB is, but they will know my precise location; simplifying the search and saving large amounts of time (hopefully ^_^).

Have you ever heard a car alarm sounding? When you heard it, did you call 911?

A distress signal received from a PLB is treated as an emergency. Always. 

Edited by PaulGS

With a locator, nobody knows where you are unless you want them to. If you do not want one, by all means HYOH. They are a resource for people that care/worry about you...hopefully there is someone that does :-) . It is kind of like carrying first aid supplies. You do not feel too and about carrying them and not needing them. If something bad DOES happen, it can seriously streamline the efforts to find you and save everyone involved a lot of time, money and danger. Think of it as freeing you to spontaneously extend your trip (if your unit has the capability) by letting folks know you will not really be lost, just late. That seems better than telling the rescue team when they stumble over you.

I used to bring a spot beacon, but lately I've been carrying a globalstar 1700 sat phone to check in on my kids.    I'm surprised how cheap they are these days.  The reviews online are pretty bad, which baffles me because I've used it for ~40 days in the Sierra, and a few days in the Colorado desert in deep canyons and it worked like a charm every time. 

If I didn't have kids, I'd bring the spot instead just for emergencies.  (Injury, snake bite, allergic reaction, etc)

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

For short trips like 5 days tops, i don't  need to carry any locating devices since my phone is enough to locate my spot.

But for more than 5 days, it's important to carry a locating device, i don't know what is going to be happening to me, but always carry a backup plan and it is not such a big weight for my backpack.

It seems that there are some pretty strong feelings on this subject, based on some of the posts here.  I will add my 2 cents worth, take it as you will...

I posted earlier in this thread that I do not use a PLB as a personal choice.  I feel that I have enough common sense and outdoor knowledge to take care of myself and stay out of harms way, in most cases.  Before anyone takes offense to my previous statement, statistics show that the majority of accidents happen due either to negligence or bad decisions. 

That being said, my wife and daughter have both asked (insisted) that I get a PLB, more for their peace of mind than out of any fear that I am going to get myself in a stupid situation and need it.  While I do not personally feel the need for a PLB, I am currently researching them.  My family's peace of mind is more important than either the money it would cost or any effort it takes to carry one.  Am currently planning an extended trip to Yellowstone and spending a good amount of time in the backcountry there; a PLB seems a small price to pay and acceptable compromise for the peace of mind it will provide back home.

• Like 1