(How) do you sleep in the backcountry?

Mcaldwell

I won't go camping without ear plugs. The only danger I've been in camping is danger of not getting sleep because of noisy neighbors or the tent flapping in the wind. I'm trying to imagine a situation where I'd be better off sleeping without ear plugs - can't think of anything realistic or remotely probable.

To the original question, I often sleep like a rotisserie chicken, both at home and camping. I usually get great sleep camping because I go to be earlier and get up later than my "normal" routine. I sleep on a NeoAir pad and it has to be not too firm and not too soft. When I wake up to roll over I usually go right back to sleep. Unless my mind is playing tricks on me, and then ear plugs are helpful.

• Premium Member

Years ago, I didn't have much trouble sleeping on the ground. Nowadays, I'm like the OP, rolling on the hour. Oddly enough, I don't feel bad in the morning. Even though I wake fairly often, I don't feel like I've had a bad night.

Some great points here.  

Ear plugs are a great idea that I sometimes use, especially during a full moon when the animals/birds/crickets/etc are loud.  If you aren't accustomed to sleeping outside, they can also mute out some of the little noises that might wake you up.

I've found it doesn't hurt to have a little beverage of choice while sitting around your camp fire.  I fall asleep quicker and sleep more sound when I've had a sip or two of an adult beverage at night.  I've found many fellow backpackers agree on this one.

If your'e a hammock sleeper, a small fire set up a few feet from the hammock can make a big difference.  The warmth from the fire, crackle of the flames, and general ambiance can be comforting. 

Your sleeping bag and sleep pad can make a huge difference obviously.  If you find the sleep pad to be to firm, try not inflating it so much.  My ThermaRest sleep pad works best inflated about 3/4 full, allowing the pad to feel very soft when I'm ground sleeping.  It is also important to ensure you have enough arm room inside the sleeping bag to toss and turn in your sleep.  If you wake up cold, a beanie, scarf, light gloves, and even arm sleeves can be very helpful.  I actually cut a pair of socks into wrist warmers to wear with gloves in the winter (huge help). 

Finally, don't skip on a pillow.  I am an ultralight believer, but the extra few ounces of a pillow are well worth it and contribute to a great nights sleep.  I have a few different pillows that I might use depending on how far of a hike and how much weight i'm willing to sacrifice.  For my multi night hikes when weight is the primary concern, I like to use an inflatable air line pillow (like you buy at the airport).  They weight almost nothing, pack tight, and stay in place nicely behind your head in a hammock (or tent). 

Start with improving your pillow and sleep pad.  That'll make a huge difference.

• 1 month later...

I really like to take naps in the woods.  During an overnighter, day trip or lay over day on a longer trip it matters not. 

Last summer I took a nap in Oregon on a raft trip.  I woke up and was staring at a mule deer fawn from 15 feet.

Using ear plugs is dangerous and evidence that you need to find better places to camp.

Outdoorsmom76

I love the "rotisserie chicken" comments in this thread. I've tossed and turned so much,  I've woke up to find my sleeping pad is not even under me anymore. I recently purchased the REI rail mat, and will be trying it out for the first time soon. I'm just hoping to stay on my mat. Maybe that'll help.  Lol

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Outdoorsmom76 said:

I love the "rotisserie chicken" comments in this thread. I've tossed and turned so much,  I've woke up to find my sleeping pad is not even under me anymore. I recently purchased the REI rail mat, and will be trying it out for the first time soon. I'm just hoping to stay on my mat. Maybe that'll help.  Lol

Big Agnes has the sleeping system where the sleeping pad slides into the bottom of the sleeping bag, which eliminates sliding off the pad.  Have you tried that out?

• Like 1

Outdoorsmom76

@HikerJen I'm going to try the REI pad to see if it works for me. I got a good deal on it second hand. So if it doesn't work,  I'm not out alot of  $$

• 1 month later...

Can't sleep in the backwoods? Easy solution: join the Army or Marines, you'll learn to sleep anywhere and everywhere. :)

OK, that may sound a little dramatic, but the science behind it is worth exploring. If you're able to, start by taking naps in less than ideal places. The couch, the floor, bathtub, you get the idea. It doesn't have to be long deep sleep at first, just a quick 20 minute nap to get your body used to falling asleep on harder surfaces. And don't just do this the week before your hike, do it on a regular basis. 

If if your body is used to only falling asleep in a pillow topped bed with 1000 thread count sheets, then you won't know how to get comfortable without them. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

One of my favorite things to do is go on a day hike and lay down and take a nap in the woods on pine needles.

• Like 1