Foot pain while hiking

Sobek

With the exception of the winter months, I have always (and will always) hiking in low cut shoes. It just a preference of mine, but I never considered how high boots would affect my foot placement. That is interesting...

That's a perfectly sound suggestion to see a podiatrist, but since this last hiking excursion I have ran 30 miles without any foot pain whatsoever. Which, again, makes this a bit of an oddity.

My trail running shoes are not *hiking* shoes per se. They were not designed for that application....that's what I'm thinking. They offer no arch support. If I could go for an all day mountain hike in my trail running shoes with little or no weight on me, I bet that would shed some light on this.

I had arch issues that went away after I years of running regularly. You might need some arch support (couldn't hurt, right?) and you might consider some Sole inserts. I've used custom-made orthitics and several pair of Superfeet, but think Sole inserts have been the most effective and practical for me in trail runners.