Best Chair for Backpacking

branchville

• 6 months later...

That litesmith chair looks nice but expensive. Has anyone tried that yet? 

For a makeshift stool, I hook my trekking pole straps together with a carabiner and tie the middle of the poles together with a short guy line to form an X.  You sit on the straps. It's not all that comfortable and a little precarious but it works and the only extra weight is a heavy duty carabiner. 

Yes, I'm looking for a better chair solution. :) 

• Premium Member

I've tried the Litesmith chair. Just once, though, and I was trying to fancy it up with my z-rest pad for padding. It will take a little more practice, but I did achieve a comfortable lean.  I had some slippage issues with the chair seat and the pad that took some adjustment.  If you think of a chair as something to get your butt off the ground, this is not for you. If you want to be able to lean back, it worked well, especially for the weight. A good choice of landing spots is essential, it must be level. I have seen someone achieve a similar effect with backpack and trekking poles for no weight penalty, but I'd rather not support any weight with my ultralight kit.

• 2 months later...

I tried Helinox Ground Chair and REI Flexlite Chair. Both felt great. But generally I focus on going lighter, so Litesmith QwikBack works fine for me.

• Premium Member

By the way, I lost the rubber tips on my Qwikback chair in some deep duff, and Litesmith sent me replacements no questions, no fee.  I might attach these with some Sugru, to avoid losing them again.

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Have since tested out the Helinox Chair Zero as well, 17.2 ounces. Didn't personally find it quite as comfortable for lounging as the Helinox Ground Chair, but it's lighter and definitely easier to get in and out of!

• Like 2

I also got a Chair Zero in the spring with my REI dividend. I took it on a week-long backpacking trip. Was amazed at how easily it packed. I doubt I'll take it on many long backpacking trips, but I've carried bulkier, heavier things in a backpack plenty of times.

• Like 1

I've tried the chairs with short legs and the Monarch-type chairs and found that the Monarch can be easier on the body, once seated, because you can easily rock back and extend your legs out much further. I wish it were as lite as the Chair Zero but really the couple extra ounces aren't much since my base weight is pretty low. I'm in the over-50 crowd so a chair at the end of the day is much much better than a log or rock. And it is much better than some pad on the ground or on top of a bear can.

I have kindly emailed Alite to make a Monarch chair with lighter poles and fabric but obviously they have not responded in kind, yet anyway.

Edited by Pokey77
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

That's one thing I like about the Ground Chair, you're able to stretch your legs out like with the Monarch but still wth the stability of a chair with 4 legs. (I've admittedly leaned a little too far back in the Monarch a few times!) At the cost of a heavier weight though. The Monarch chair with a lighter pole set and seat would indeed be great however. 

Game Warden

I bought the Qwickback Litesmith and have used it on a few day hikes. It is remarkably stable and comfortable. I also like that it allows you keep your legs stretched out flat; this is important for muscle fatigue recovery. It is extremely lightweight and compact. Only drawback is the price---seems a little steep for the product.