Wool Allergy or sensitivity

girlnextdoortn

girlnextdoortn

Ok thanks for the information. I appreciate it. But you and I are at an impass and have different options on the topic at hand. 

16 minutes ago, girlnextdoortn said:

Ok thanks for the information. I appreciate it. But you and I are at an impass and have different options on the topic at hand. 

No. I myself (like you) am a big fan of wool. I don't have an "opinion" on the topic.... I have knowledge of the subject matter. You are welcome to reject any fact you wish. But I don't think rejecting factual information will enhance your experience.

Edited by S Katz

• 3 years later...

I have just began hiking again after many years. I have noticed a rash on both my ankles that I can not get under control. It will go away after a few days but after a day of hiking, it’s back again. I started with just a general pair of hiking socks on Amazon that are not wool. No ankle rash but hot spots on the bottom of my feet. I then went to the typical smartwool and darn tough socks. No foot hot spot but the ankle started developing a rash. I was advised to try sock liners. That seemed to help but not consistently. I have tried “hikers goo” in addition to liners and wool socks, goo with liners and the non wool socks and still have this intermittent problem. I am now wondering if there may be something in the liners causing the irritation as well. In the warmer months, the rash was now extending above my sock line. I feel that since the problem has already started, it’s most likely always going to be a weakness. If you figure anything out that works for you, please let me know. Now that it is getting colder, I wanted to try a merino wool base layer but am now apprehensive.

021CF62F-09E9-4755-8154-B638B98905A8.jpeg

69080338-7EF6-497A-9144-64CBBD3B5B06.jpeg

• 2 years later...
Michael aka Mac

Here is an old hunters trick my grandfather taught me.  Put on ladies silk stocking (sock version) and then the sock liner or wool sock to eliminate some of the irritation. ounce per ounce  silk is a great insulator, and wicks moisture too. Silk is also resistant to mold and fungus.

For those guys out there giving dirty looks,  my Gramps  was ex military, a professional trucker/mover, a hunter, and probably one of the most manly macho no BS men I have ever met and one  tough SoB. so bite your tongue  and try it to see if it helps your feet.