Winter footwear

aguerra.1993

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

I like lightweight footwear and go fairly minimal for spring / summer / fall in regards to shoes but for deeper snow I like the ankle support of a mid. The current offering at REI is usually a pretty good start at coming up with a shortlist (drill down by using all the filters you can):

https://www.rei.com/c/mens-boots

In all circumstances, I usually try to get away with the lightest option I can that will still keep my feet protected and warm. Everyone is a bit different, for less cold conditions a non-insulated boot could work, with gaiters for snow and a VBL just to add a little warmth if needed. Since I hike 3 seasons in Altra Lone Peaks their new Polartec NeoShell Mid is something I've had my eye on. But, for colder temperatures like you are expecting (single digit highs, assuming below 0 lows), I'd definitely add in some insulation to the boot. I currently use the discontinued (can still find it on clearance) Vasque Snow Junkie - a 200 gram Thinsulate boot which has kept my feet warm enough on overnight trips well into the negative teens with the right socks and a VBL...although for the most part that's staying active while wearing them and otherwise it's into dry socks, down booties, and a sleeping bag (or two). But just like fit everyone's thermostat will run a bit differently and if I was planning to do a lot of sitting around in one place without moving waiting on the right light for photos, etc., I might opt for something warmer.

What trail runners do you like? Might be worth trying to find something from the same brand (if they have any options) to see if you can find a boot with a similar comfortable fit - in my experience trying on boots it's hard to tell if they're perfect until you hit the trail, but you can tell pretty quickly if they're completely wrong. I also lean towards mesh and more synthetic materials for more theoretical breathability, weight, and so I don't have to re-waterproof leather when it becomes a sponge, but fit is probably the most important aspect and opting on the side of more room than less is a good idea for less compression and room for socks / a VBL etc...once you decide on the boot deciding on the size can be a challenge as well! :) Free shipping and returns online (Amazon) or being able to go into a store and check everything out first hand is definitely helpful. However, depending on what exactly you'll be doing beyond hiking / backpacking / snowshoeing in regards to the crampons, you might need to consider a boot that will work best with your specific choice of crampon and the mountaineering aspect if you're needing a do it all solution.

Thanks for all that info. I currently hike in La Sportiva Helios and I love them. They have seen some snow but not much, and my feet weren't cold. I am thinking of going for a boot that is semi rigid so they aren't too bad to hike in but are easier to kick through snow. As for insulation I am thinking I may have exaggerated the highs and lows, more realistically I am thinking lows will be single digits and highs into the teens and 20s. I think boots like the Salewa MTN Trainer, Salewa Crow or La Sportiva Trango Trek will certainly meet my needs in terms of crampons and snow shoes but they don't look like they would be very fun to hike in. Maybe the MTN Trainers wouldn't be too bad (assuming the fit is comfortable on all the boots). Another option I have been playing with in my head is possibly going with a much lighter mid or high shoe, like ones similar to the Lone Peak mids and sizing them up to where I can fit a thick wool sock with a VBL and a liner sock comfortably. This would be a much more UL approach and probably more comfortable. I guess it's tough to recommend and that would have to be a choice I make knowing my own body.

Edit- Another approach I was looking into was maybe getting a type of approach shoe, as those are designed for mountain use, and are a little burlier than a trail runner but not too robust. I wonder if low top shoes will still keep snow out with gaiters or if it is better to have a larger area of overlap between the two.

Edited by aguerra.1993

I have Salomon Toundra Mids https://www.amazon.com/Salomon-Mens-Toundra-Mid-High-Waterproof/dp/B00AKB5XJC They look really clunky, but they are light weight, comfortable, and warm/dry. Don't get me wrong, they are not at all like hiking in trail runners, but hiking in 6-12 inches of snow, they work well, or just hiking when it is below freezing.

The La Sportiva you linked to look reasonable for a winter boot and if you like La Sportiva for a trail runner, you should probably give them a try. Low top shoes with gaiters probably would not work very well in snow that was more than a couple inches.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

You could try something that's not insulated but waterproof with the warmer temps in mind, and if you already know you're fine below freezing in normal (non-waterproof?) trail runners. Staying warm overall will go a long way also, and especially if you're thinking you'll be in your tent on the lower end of the spectrum and active during the morning and evening...or active the entire time if day hiking. Not a bad idea to test the setup on some cold dayhikes initially. The VBL and the two sock combo (I find wool and wool - synthetic blends best) with gaiters also all help. If you end up having to get something insulated later the non-insulated version should still be useful for many trips and I make use of both depending.

Would agree with @wspscott in regards to the height advantage in any significant snow. Additionally I've tried deeper snow in trail runners and while some are able to make it work, my ankles did not appreciate the experiment - many times when you sink down without and even with snowshoes you don't always know what you'll hit on the way down (angled rocks, fallen branches, etc.) and you can end up at some odd angles. Trekking poles are a help, but I've found some ankle support very nice to have, and the higher shoe / boot is warmer as well.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I like insulated hunting boots around 12 inches most of the time. 

For extreme cold, or wet conditions I might go to packs with rubber bottoms and felt liners.