MSR Pocket Rocket Deluxe Stove Review

Aaron Zagrodnick

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

The latest stove from MSR, the Pocket Rocket Deluxe, takes the normal version of their popular upright canister stove and adds an external piezo push start ignition system along with an internal pressure regulator, promising more stable performance across both low canister and in colder weather applications. After utilizing the Soto WindMaster for years that utilizes a pressure regulation system – you can find our full review of the Soto WindMaster here – MSR has now also adopted this technology utilizing a similar design. Through previous use and testing I’ve found a pressure regulator does indeed greatly improve upright canister stove performance in the field and with the new MSR Pocket Rocket Deluxe arriving on the market for 2019, the stove had the intriguing bonus of built-in pot supports and the promise of a very durable piezo ignition system. At less than 3 ounces, the weight is right as well and I was curious to see how the new stove would perform across a wide variety of temperature ranges, canister levels, and ambient conditions...

In our latest issue we review and test the new Pocket Rocket Deluxe stove from MSR - you can find the full review below in Issue 41:

MSR Pocket Rocket Deluxe Review

MSR Pocket Rocket Deluxe Review

Issue 41 Page 1

I saw this stove on the MSR website a few weeks ago and said to myself "It's a Soto Windmaster clone!"

Thanks for the the extensive testing Aaron as it looks like the Soto Windmaster still outshines MSR's newest offering.

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

It’s always great to get a new stove review in. Thanks for taking a look!

• Aaron Zagrodnick changed the title to MSR Pocket Rocket Deluxe Stove Review