Soto WindMaster OD-1RX Micro Regulator Stove Review

Aaron Zagrodnick

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

The Soto WindMaster upright canister stove is a new for 2013 offering from Soto that is similar to their popular Micro Regulator OD-1R stove, but is even lighter and has been designed with wind resistance and efficiency in mind. Soto’s micro regulator valve system has also been used for the new WindMaster, which Soto claims improves efficiency and operation during cold weather, where many canister stoves begin to falter... 

We take an in depth look at this new upright canister stove offering from Soto, read the full review below in Issue 8:

Issue 8 Page 1

• 4 months later...

I bought the Soto Windmaster several months ago and am very pleased with it. I only use it with the optional 4Flex pot support because I found the TriFlex 3-prong pot support too unstable even when using small pots. With the 4Flex pot support (along with a MSR canister stand) cooking and boiling is much safer whether using a 1 litre or 3 litre pot.

The 4Flex pot support, when attached to the stove, can be stored in the Soto bag but I prefer to detach it first before storing and because of its size, I think it is highly unlikely I would misplace the 4Flex.

Fuel efficiency appears very good and I find the stove's operation in windy conditions to be similar to your report.

A bit pricey to buy but I don't know of another canister stove that makes available such a wide stable pot support and has a built-in windscreen too so I feel the purchase price of the Soto Windmaster has been well worth it.

post-611-143508715134_thumb.jpg

post-611-143508715142_thumb.jpg

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Paul,

Thanks for the report and glad to hear that the WindMaster has been working out well for you. Mine continues to impress and as far as upright canister stoves are concerned...I haven't looked back. I normally go with the 3-Prong support for my Evernew 900ml pot or anything smaller, while utilizing the 4Flex support for anything larger. The 4Flex definitely does offer more stability across the board however, and like you noted it's a lot less likely to be misplaced! :D

• 2 years later...

This is just a bit of information for anyone who owns the Soto Windmaster and has had the piezo igniter quit working, like mine recently did. 

Soto only sells a replacement igniter for the OD-1R stove, but not for the OD-1RX which is the Windmaster. 

I emailed Soto but never received a reply as to whether the replacement igniter would also fit the Windmaster. So I just ordered the replacement igniter anyways and good news, it fits the Windmaster too. :)

Cost was $12 Canadian and now my Windmaster is ready to go for another season. :D

It's a great stove 3 years on and one that I've never seen sold in Canada, having picked up mine from Oregon  

image.jpeg

Edited by PaulGS
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Thanks for the info Paul and good to hear, I've always liked the convenience of an integrated igniter on my stoves even with the chance that it might need to be replaced in mind. Still my go-to 3 season stove here also and continues to work well.